Academic Advisor, College of Education and Human Services
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 16, 2018
Position Title Academic Advisor, College of Education and Human Services
Vacancy # V-1523
Department College of Education and Human Services
Division Academic Affairs
The Academic Advisor is responsible for providing a range of support services to students in the College of Education and Human Services. These include advising new first-year and transfer students regarding general education and major requirements, major electives, and course sequencing. The advisor will work in collaboration with other professional staff in the Student Success Center and throughout the college to provide services related to student enrollment, academic advising, retention, and support.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise potential and current students in CEHS degree programs.
- Process all materials and communications in connection with undergraduate students, including change of major/minor, credit adjustments, and other student action forms.
- Engage in advisement/registration activities for the Fall, Spring, and Summer Sessions.
- Learn and fully utilize information technology related to student services, including Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish.
- Participation in college and university events related to advising, recruiting, and other student activities, with some of these events occurring on nights and weekends.
- Establish, nurture, and maintain relationships with students, staff, advisors and faculty throughout the campus community in order to provide student referrals, as necessary, to Career Services, CAPS, and other necessary cross-campus offices and services.
- Develop and deliver classroom presentations about academic policies and registration information.
- Assist with enrollment management and non-registration outreach.
- Conduct and coordinate intrusive advising for students on academic probation, as needed.
- Represent the school and university at meetings and events, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management has the right to change job duties. This is not considered a complete job description.
Qualifications & Requirements
Master's degree in counseling, higher education administration or related field. Experience working with undergraduate students in a higher education setting. Ability to advise and counsel students. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION