Academic Advisor, CHSS (Multiple Positions)
Posting Date July 16, 2018
Position Title Academic Advisor, CHSS (Multiple Positions)
Vacancy # 1509
Department Dean’s Office -CHSS
Division Academic Affairs
The academic advisor is responsible for providing a range of support services to students in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS). This person will advise new students and currently enrolled students of the general education requirements, major required and elective classes, minor exploration, and advise the growing population of transfer students. The advisor will work in collaboration with other professional staff in the CHSS Center for Career and Academic Advising and throughout the college to provide services related to recruitment, student enrollment, academic advising, retention, engagement and support. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise a caseload of current students in CHSS programs in addition to providing advisement to prospective students.
- Process all materials and communications in connection with undergraduate students, including change of major/minor, credit adjustments, and other student action forms.
- Assist with the advisement/registration activities for the Fall, Spring, and Summer Sessions.
- Learn and fully utilize information technology related to student services, including Banner, Degree Works, and other advising tools.
- Track and analyze student data related to recruitment, engagement, and advisement for regular reporting purposes.
- Participation in college and university events related to advising, recruiting, and other student activities, with some of these events occurring on nights and weekends.
- Establish and maintain relationships with students, staff, advisors and faculty throughout the campus community in order to provide student referrals, as necessary, to Career Services, CAPS, Red Hawk Central, or any other necessary cross campus offices.
- Collaborate with admissions, and other school/university offices as a typical part of job duties.
- Develop and implement classroom presentations about academic policies and registration information.
- Enrollment management; assist with non-registration outreach and occasional recruiting events as needed.
- Conduct and coordinate intrusive advising for students on academic probation as needed.
- Represent the college and university at meetings and events as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management has the right to change job duties. This is not considered a complete job description.
Qualifications & Requirements
Master's Degree in relevant field. Experience working with undergraduate students in a higher education setting. Ability to advise and counsel students. Ability to work independently and in a team setting. Must be detail/results oriented; able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills.
Understanding of and experience with non-traditional student populations. Familiarity with Banner systems. Experience with CHSS curriculum and programs.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION