Senior Associate Director, Operations
Hyde Park Campus
About the Unit
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges. Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment. Chicago Booth is proud to claim: -an unmatched faculty. -degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents. -a global body of nearly 50,000 accomplished alumni. - strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities. As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University's core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas - the first business school to achieve this accomplishment. For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/
The Senior Associate Director of Operations is an integral part of The University of Chicago Booth School of Business (Chicago Booth) Marketing and Communications Department. This role will require overseeing the Assistant and Associate Directors of Operations, improving processes, developing new operational strategies, and aligning culture and departmental norms to achieve organizational goals. Work with all departments within the Marketing and Communication teams to plan for and align resources and processes associated with annual marketing plans and ongoing projects while ensuring there is collaboration and coordination between and amongst operations and marketing and communications teams. Will be responsible for collaborating with leadership searching for an opportunity to shape the culture of a growing department through your direct contributions. The role will focus on optimizing the department function's operating processes, project prioritization and collaboration with department leaders.
- Direct all operational activities, establishing, and ensuring adherence to operational guidelines, establishing operational benchmarks and reporting on internal operational effectiveness.
- Manage relationships with external vendors to ensure all timelines and operational guidelines are adhered to while still delivering expected work quality and quantity.
- Liaise between cross-functional teams to identify areas of collaboration and opportunities to streamline processes while ensuring the timely and successful delivery of projects, which meet organization needs and align with strategic business objectives.
- On an ongoing and as needed basis, conduct business process reengineering, rethinking current approaches and redesign workflows to improve outcomes and/or improve quality and timeliness.
- Identify and implement opportunities so align departmental culture and norms, including but not limited to creating a framework for department wide communications, meeting cadence, and onboarding activities.
- Act as a buffer for leadership team on management on all day-to-day operations.
- Work with the leadership team to establish operational benchmarks and ensure adherence to operational guidelines within and between teams.
- Deliver insights, metrics, and reporting to the leadership team on operational performance; making recommendations, collaborating on operational priorities and ensuring execution on agreements.
- Identify operational performance opportunities early and work with teams on issue identification, solution development and execution.
- Identify operational best practices combining theory and practice and package and disseminate this knowledge across the marketing team to positively impact performance.
- Work with all teams within marketing to ensure the organization, collectively, is delivering on the highest priority/highest impact projects by working across teams to resolve prioritization and resource utilization issues.
- Work with teams to solve prioritization issues, understand, implement and manage project changes and interventions to ensure timelines reflect necessary adjustments and support project progression and completion.
- Use KPIs and operational knowledge to evaluate use of project management tool. Ensure project templates timelines and team's use of tool reflects project management best practices and marketing's operational processes.
Education, Experience or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- At least five years of experience in a project management or operations position or role with similar responsibilities required.
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in successful development and management of processes and successful management of projects required.
- At least three years of demonstrated success in direct or indirect management of people required.
- Experience working in demanding environments with high volume required.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Solid working knowledge of project management software such as Workfront required.
- Creativity, resourcefulness and adaptability required.
- Clear, concise and effective communications (verbal/written) individually or in small group required.
- Strong presentation skills/capable of representing the marketing team in front of senior leaders required.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly responsive, manage multiple projects simultaneously, understand priorities and resource utilization, address identified problems, meet deadlines and respond to urgent needs while building and sustaining strong working relationships required.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous process improvement and ability to solve problems creatively required.
- Poise and able to focus under pressure, able to work independently and in support of department goals required.
- Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/