Cultural Engagement Director
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date May 17, 2018
Position Title Cultural Engagement Director
Vacancy # V-1476
Department Arts and Cultural Programming
Division Academic Affairs
The Office of Arts + Cultural Programming (ACP), through it's PEAK Performances series, presents and produces national and international works of dance, music, theater, performance and opera as well as projects offered by departments within the College of the Arts (CART). PEAK provides the conditions for artists to perform works without compromise and audiences the opportunity to explore adventuresome ideas freely. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Cultural Engagement (CE) Director is responsible for developing original ways of engaging artists with audiences: patrons, students, diverse academic departments and varied regional organizations. The purpose of this position is to contextualize ACP's acclaimed PEAK Performances season and in doing so, to advance the boundaries of the performing arts while cementing a lasting relationship between artist and audience. Under the guidance of the CE Director, ACP's cultural engagement programs are extended to off campus communities with the intention of expanding appreciation for the contemporary arts. Through the work of the CE Director, ACP makes the statement that performing artists are creative inspirations for everyone in all fields of endeavor and all walks of life.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages all aspects of the ACP Cultural Engagement program, including the following initiatives: Sneek Peaks, Community Conversations, Art & Society, Live Lit, PeARL and The Creative Thinking course.
- Works directly with visiting artists to expand student learning experience through discipline specific master classes, workshops and symposia.
- Acts as ACP's liaison with academic departments in all fields of study and is charged with emphasizing ACP's co-curricular mission.
- Design a strategy for delivering mission-driven services to target audiences.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with community organizations.
- Monitor performance toward reporting metrics of existing programs and provide feedback.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor of Arts degree from accredited academic institution.
- Knowledge of contemporary dance, music, theater, performance and opera.
- 5+ years' employment in recognized performing arts organization.
- Work experience with an academic institution, preferably in cultural engagement or its equivalent.
- Fluid writing style.
- Multiple project coordination.
- Proven inter-personal and communication skills.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as required by performance schedule.
- Word, Excel and comparable graphic programs in Apple or PC platform.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION