Principle Product Manager Product Manager (Data Platform)
Senior Product Manager – Data Platform
At Western Governors University we are building the technology to redefine how individuals can gain the knowledge and skills required to achieve their goals and objectives. We leverage technology to create an exemplary student experience for on-line, competency-based education which is independent of time and place. If you are passionate about education, and want to be part of an innovative, high-tech university, that serves students in a unique way, this job is for you. Join us if you want to be part of something very special.
Western Governors University (WGU) is seeking a talented Senior Product Manager. This position is based in our Salt Lake City, Utah headquarters location. The product manager is responsible for working with the data foundations team to build the data foundations necessary to support machine learning. This team will centralize, transform, enrich, and normalize internal and external data sources of student related data into a single consumable stream. They will work with stakeholders and development teams to build and hydrate the data lake, build the ingestion layer, extraction layer, data warehouse, and data mart. They manage the execution of projects in accordance with the Roadmap. They prioritize the backlog, manage stakeholder communication, and produce documentation and reports to ensure the vision of the roadmap is properly executed. They define requirements and write user stories/acceptance criteria. They ensure objectives are met. They define feature requirements and accept or reject work.
- Establish Product Vision
- Quantify problem via metrics, risk and gap analysis
- Establish, Maintain, and Communicate Roadmap
- Produce MBR for Products and Engineering
- Document As-Is Process & Improvement opportunities (All Non-Academic Orgs)
- Identify and engage Business Stakeholders
- Communicate product status updates across business departments
- Buy vs. Build Analysis (if applicable)
- Document Future State Process
- Define scope and priorities through story mapping/release planning
- Groom and prioritize backlog
- Gather requirements and write user stories/acceptance criteria
- Develop Pilot Plan (alpha and beta testing)
- Answer questions from developers and clarify requirements
- Demo iterations to other stakeholders/customers (pre-release) to gather feedback
- Validate in code review that acceptance criteria meet requirements prior to QA
- Create documentation for Support teams
- Develop Training material/User documentation
- Train the Trainers/End Users on changes
- Adjust roadmap for future releases
- Final update to process flows to match end state and upload to confluence
- Confirm original problem was resolved
- Elicit Feedback from end users
- Create additional user stories
- Communicate project outcome and closure to stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience as a successful product manager for software products.
- Skilled in content management systems and Digital Asset Management software product/s
- Experience with agile development and episodic release cycles.
- Confident, competent leadership skills
- Strong collaborative people skills
- Be a self-starter with bias for action versus extensive deliberation
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business
- Expects and requires innovation of self and her/his team
- Is enthusiastic about our products
- Strong results orientation
- Team player, with a history of thought leadership.
- Strong analytic background in the areas software development and web services.
- Maintain and build relationships with business owners, stakeholders, team members and key vendors.
- Assist in the selection and sourcing of WGU software.
- Monitor KPIs and direct effective action to promote successful business outcomes
- Utilize customer feedback and competitive data to direct business strategy.
- Exceptional communicator.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with demonstrated success in software product management.
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in CRM software
- Strong project planning skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with dynamic deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s is a plus.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Data Science, Analytics all a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of software Product Management experience
- Higher Education technology experience is a plus.
- Minimum of 1-year experience managing buildout of data channel and data management platform (DMP)
- Salesforce experience a plus
Salt Lake City, United States