Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09446
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Level 16; Full-time; Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $2,873 to $2,959 per month
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Under the direction of grounds maintenance management, works independently to perform a wide range of landscape maintenance duties, working safely with gas and diesel powered equipment including mowers, tractors, chainsaws etc., and attending to plants, trees and lawns on assigned campuses. Performs daily routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment, fencing and grounds features as needed. Incumbent is a key contributor within the department with work results impacting the immediate work section, and campus staff and students. Important job contacts are with peers in immediate work group and supervisor, and additional contact with individuals outside the department and vendors. Performs work as designated essential personnel. Job requires ordinary conversational skills and courtesy to exchange information and assistance which is routine in nature.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 3:30pm
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
- 8 hours of Sick Leave per month
- 24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
- 11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a full range of landscape maintenance duties including leaf removal, pruning shrubs and trees, spraying and fertilizing, lawn care and watering.
- Removes litter and empties trash cans.
- Cleans roads, parking lots and walks to ensure safety for pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Constructs carpentry features and masonry structures for special landscape projects.
- Provides full care for designated indoor plants.
- Removes ice and snow from walks, roads and lots, including the application of ice melter and road sand using snow plow and sanders.
- In the event of unscheduled closures due to weather events and/or other circumstances, is considered "essential personnel" for reopening the college.
- Selects and establishes new plants and plantings both in landscape and through greenhouse culture.
- Installs, repairs and uses manual and electronic watering systems to ensure adequate moisture for plantings.
- Performs vector control including trapping and disposing of small animals and insects.
- Works in a safe manner leaving work areas safe during and after work projects.
- Maintains appropriate records both manual and computerized which includes chemical logs and pesticides, material safety data sheets and various inventories.
- Cleans spills as needed, including body fluids.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
Note: Experience requirements use full-time equivalent
High school diploma or equivalent.
Two years of experience in basic landscape maintenance.
Must possess or be able to obtain a valid public pesticide apprentice license and forklift certification within nine months of employment.
Must possess good record keeping and basic computer skills.
Must be able to obtain certificates for first aid/CPR within six months of employment.
Must be able to use a respirator when required.
Must have valid driver license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.
Work is performed primarily outdoors, on varying terrain (some potentially hazardous), in all types of extreme weather conditions and involves potential exposure to pesticides and maintenance related substances, blood borne pathogens, and diseased animals.Positions involve recurring early and late hours with exposure to hazards and ventilation problems and noise extremes, high vehicular traffic and congested areas. Travel between college locations using college-owned vehicle or personal vehicle may be required.
Position requires shoveling of heavy materials and the use of equipment such as mowers, chain saws, pruners, snow and leaf blowers, sprayers, payloaders, tractors and edgers. Strength and agility, and extended standing and heavy lifting are required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Safety and materials requirements and recordkeeping;
Departmental processes and policies;
Plant identification and control;
Heavy equipment operation and maintenance;
Department of Agriculture rules/regulations for pesticide use;
Drainage and stormwater management.
Organizing and keeping records;
Operating a computer and various software packages.
Safely operate motor vehicles pulling loaded trailer;
Effectively communicate both in writing and verbally;
Work effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse staff and student population;
Work independently and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to needed changes.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
A valid public pesticide apprentice license.
Formal training or education in landscaping/horticulture.
Work experience beyond the minimums in all aspects of landscaping including equipment operation such as riding mowers, tractors, and snow removal equipment.
Ability to properly care for lawns, shrubs, etc., and pay close attention in operating equipment. Ability to operate tractors, cultivators, edger's, power mowers, pesticide application equipment, and other equipment used in grounds maintenance.
Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy.
Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
Operating grounds maintenance equipment and tools.
Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency