Assistant Director for the Office of Intercultural Relations
The Assistant Director for the Office of Intercultural Relations is a full-time12 month position, which reports to the Director of Intercultural Relations. This position works with the Intercultural Relations team to promote intercultural dialogue, understanding, and respect among the many cultural identities represented within the Lake Forest College community.
This position provides leadership and oversight for several programming and marketing initiatives of the Office, including, but not limited to, First Connection Pre-Orientation, Forester First-First Generation Program, Cultural Coalition, signature programs, the Intercultural House, and social media platforms.
The individual in this position needs to be knowledgeable about campus resources and establish good relationships with faculty, staff and campus partner across the institution.
The Assistant Director of Intercultural Programs will:
- Deliver social justice trainings to student groups as well as faculty and staff.
- Design, plan, implement, and assess diversity and inclusion programs and events for the College community.
- Identify relevant speakers, events, and performers for campus events aligned with the mission of the Office of Intercultural Relations.
- Support student success initiatives and provide individual support for students of color, first generation college students, LGBTQ students, and international students.
- Serve as liaison/advisor to culturally-focused student organizations, including, but not limited to Latinos Unidos, United Black Association, United Asia, Pride, International Student Organization, and Muslim Student Association.
- Plan and implement the First Connection Pre-Orientation Program.
- Oversee the operations, programming, and student employees of the Intercultural House.
- Create promotional materials and manage the social media and website presence for the Office.
- Supervise the Marketing and Communications Student Intercultural Relations Specialist.
- Foster collaborative relationships with administrative offices, academic departments, and student groups.
- Assist in conducting assessment and evaluation of office programs.
- Ensure that students who are served by the office are informed of and encouraged to utilize campus resources, services, organizations, and other supports.
- Represent the Office of Intercultural Relations on College committees.
- Collaborate with Student Affairs and other Lake Forest College departments to develop cultural and global education opportunities.
- Assist and perform other duties as needed.
A Master’s degree is preferred in higher education, student affairs, or related field and at least 2 years of post-graduate professional working experience, preferably within the areas of diversity, inclusion, and social justice
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess an awareness of the concerns, pressures, and inequities of first-generation students in higher education and other marginalized communities.
- Ability to advocate for the above-mentioned populations and ensure that services and programs are provided for these communities.
- Experience planning and implementing campus programs and events related to diversity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Demonstrated competence in engaging and facilitating dialogue on identity and social justice issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to be effective in developing rapport and working with students, faculty, and staff of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as the ability to present to groups of students, faculty, and staff.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task and take initiative.
- Technology skills should include proficiency with Microsoft applications as well as tools used in designing promotional materials such as InDesign.
- Ability to work routine evening and weekend hours is required for this position.
- It is preferred that candidates have or are able to obtain a valid driver’s license.
To apply please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references via e-mail at [email protected] .
Lake Forest College embraces diversity and encourages applications from members of historically underrepresented groups.