Advising Specialist, Health Sciences Advisement Office
Santa Fe College’s Health Sciences Advisement Office, located within the Academic Affairs division of Health Sciences, provides career guidance and academic advisement to students interested in the Nursing and Allied Health professions. The Advising Specialist is responsible for providing direction, information, personal attention, care and support to students in the development of their academic and career goals, including the path to application to one of SF’s limited enrollment healthcare programs. Additionally, the Advising Specialist works closely with the health sciences academic chairs and the Director of Health Sciences Advisement to plan and implement recruitment opportunities.
The Health Sciences Advisement Office is currently seeking an outgoing, enthusiastic and energetic Advising Specialist to conduct recruitment, advising and student/graduate tracking for Health Sciences, which offers Associate of Science degrees, vocational certificates and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion degree. The Health Sciences Advisement team embraces a collaborative, dynamic working environment. Successful candidates must possess excellent customer service skills in order to interact with the general public, educational and healthcare industry partners, students, parents, faculty and staff in a respectful and positive manner. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to inspire interested students to pursue a career in one of the high-wage, high-demand healthcare programs offered by Santa Fe College. Principle work hours will be within the standard Santa Fe College work schedule, with some flexibility for evenings and weekends to accommodate department or student needs. Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Participate in all advisement efforts, including pre-requisite and program course academic advisement, using various modes of communication, embracing progressive advisement and student success in a technology rich environment.
- Track student progress through their program of study, providing guidance and assistance as needed.
- Respond to student inquires and requests for information via phone, email, social media, etc.
- Participate in recruitment and marketing events.
- Assist the Director with maintenance and distribution of recruitment materials (fliers, website, etc.)
- Speak to small and large groups of potential students and their parents, explaining programs, career opportunities, educational and career lattices and employment potential.
- Process and evaluate application and admissions materials from potential students, responding appropriately, in a timely manner.
- Work with Academic Chairs and staff to maintain accurate students records, strictly honoring the privacy and security of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
- Maintain positive and close relationships with academic chairs in Health Sciences to ensure a smooth admissions process to limited enrollment programs, assist students with registration and enrollment issues, monitors student progress, provide accurate and timely date, and coordinate tours of the Health Sciences Programs.
- Complete reporting requirements for internal and external stakeholders.
- Network with area schools and industry partners, creating mutually beneficial relationships for SF, the schools and local healthcare organizations.
- Collaborate with SF’s Counseling Center, Career Resources Center, Office for Admissions, and other offices across campus. Serve on college committees as appropriate.
- Work as a positive and effective team member in a dynamic environment.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director, Health Sciences Advisement Office
Required: A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with two (2) years of related work experience.
Other: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
- Problem Solving – proven skills in identifying issues, determining their cause, developing creative solutions, and following through with implementing resolutions.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
- Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Detail Oriented- Proven accuracy and attention to detail.
- Multi-task – Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determined a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
Application Process: All applicants must complete the SF Employment Application, submit a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts through the job portal to be considered for this position. College transcripts are required for any college coursework. If you do not have college coursework, proof of high school completion or equivalent must be uploaded as unofficial transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.