Student Affairs Business Manager
The Student Affairs Business Manager provides fiscal management and oversight of all business functions for sixteen departments within the Division of Student Affairs, including State, Sales & Service, and Foundation budgets. This position reports to the Director of Fiscal Operations and is part of a centralized business operations team. This position is responsible for developing & administering policies and procedures, recommending budgetary decisions, analyzing the scope/impact of such decisions on internal and external contacts. It is an Intermediate level position which provides management and oversight of the budget and reports to the head of the division. The position has fiscal oversight of various departmental locations in a multi-faceted operation. It supervises and manages the business operations staff. It requires leadership abilities including personnel development, coaching, goal setting and outcome measurement. This position requires a strong understanding of University business processes and finance, accounting principles & management, excellent verbal and written skills to enable effective communication with executive management, ability to prioritize & multitask in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Approve all financial transactions for state, sales & service, and Foundation budgets, including OwlPay, Purchasing cards, eProcurement, and travel, ensuring all activities are processed in a timely manner and in compliance with divisional, university, BOR, and state policies
- Monitor the financial performance of assigned budgets throughout the fiscal year, including:
- Providing timely and accurate financial reports, including budget versus actual, revenue/expense analysis, and budget forecasting, on a monthly basis and as requested
- Reviewing and reconciling all budgets and financial activities on a monthly basis and as requested Identifying and resolving the cause for revenue and expense variances, deficits, and discrepancies
- Submitting corrective entries to resolve identified issues and bring budget(s) back into balance
- Prepares detailed financial reports. Conducts financial and statistical analysis of spending trends
- Advise the Director of Fiscal Operations concerning revenue and expenditure forecast projections, identifying potential shortfalls, and making recommendations for any necessary adjustments
- Supervise staff- including coaching and development, goal setting, and conducting performance outcome measurements
- Serve as financial advisor, providing training and guidance on financial policies and procedures to staff
- Serve as back up to Centralized Business Operations staff in the event of absences and/or leave
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Commitment to collaborative planning and teamwork in a fast-paced, dynamic, and diverse environment
- Possess excellent organizational, interpersonal skills, and communicate skills with administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the public in a courteous and professional manner
- Proactive and effective problem-solver, who is able to work calmly and independently under pressure while successfully managing a complex workload with competing deadlines and multiple priorities
- Advanced level knowledge of accounting principles and practices, preferably in a university environment, with the ability to successfully read and interpret financial reports, spreadsheets, and other related documents
- Understanding of all State, BOR, and KSU financial policies and procedures, ensuring activities remain in compliance at all times.
- Higher Education work experience and knowledge of University hiring practices is preferred.
- Previous experience with accounting systems such as PeopleSoft, Banner, and SAS and financial management software such as Quickbooks.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.