Medical Research Technician
Location: Covington, LA
The Medical Research Technician for the Tulane National Primate Center, Division of Microbiology will be responsible for performing experiments in the level 2 and level 3 laboratories. The Medical Research Technician will be trained by the PI as well as by the Institutional Department of Biosafety and will work on Risk Group 3 (RG3) agents such as Mycobacterium tuberculosis as well bacterial select agents like Bacillus antracis, Brucella abortis, and Burkholderia pseudomallei. Necessary experiments include those involving molecular biology, pathology, immunology and microbiology, in adherence with the Standard Operating Protocols (SOPs) in place.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Ability to perform meticulous laboratory work with careful attention to detail, and in strict adherence to the Standard Operating Procedures.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficient use of basic laboratory research equipment.
- Familiarity with basic computational tools such as Microsoft Excel, Word, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and successfully meet established deadlines.
- A Bachelor's degree and 1 year directly-related work experience
- Experience with BSL2 and/or BSL3 bio-containment principles and protocols, both for animal and laboratory space.
- Experience in working with samples containing BSL3 bio-containment requiring risk-group 3 pathogens, particularly Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Immunology and flow cytometry knowledge and experience
- Experience with DNA and RNA extraction and purification.
Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.