Lab Research Technician
Global Environmental Health Sciences
Location: New Orleans, LA
The Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences at Tulane University invites applications for a Laboratory Research Technician to work on USEPA funded National Priorities project: Impacts of Water Conservation on Water Quality in Premise Plumbing and Water Distribution Systems. The applicant will work closely with Dr. Tiong Aw and colleagues at both Purdue University and Michigan State University to develop and apply molecular methods for detecting opportunistic pathogens in premise plumbing and water distribution systems. The applicant will have an opportunity to be involved in other environmental microbiome projects.
The applicant will assist in day-to-day lab operations while working on an independent research project.
Initial appointment will be made for a period of one year, with a possibility of extension for one additional year based on performance and availability of funding. Interested candidates should submit a CV with contact information for three references.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Solid analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task, and prioritize work assignments
- Ability to work independently on projects under the supervision of the PI
- Ability to learn and perform basic cell culture and molecular techniques
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and maintain good working relationship
- A valid state issued driver license
- Bachelor's degree and one year of directly related experience
- Statistical analysis and R software experience
- Proficient laboratory experience in the areas of environmental microbiology and biotechnology
Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.