Senior Director of Donor Relations
Senior Director of Donor Relations-1801837
Experience in complex educational or medical nonprofit organizations. Experience working with key stakeholders and major donors. Familiarity with the demands of donor relations during a capital campaign. Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising software.
Brief Description of Duties:The Senior Director of Donor Relations is responsible for providing leadership, strategic vision, and planning for the University’s donor relation’s efforts with particular emphasis on major and capital gifts. Supports University Advancement’s fundraising efforts by enhancing current donor relations programs and adding new donor-focused initiatives to create a high performing comprehensive and proactive donor relations program. Oversee strategy and execution of donor relations programs on behalf of all areas of Stony Brook University and the Stony Brook Foundation. The Senior Director will develop metrics and systems to monitor outcomes across all areas of donor relations programming with a core goal of overall donor retention, satisfaction and engagement. The program will be built upon the foundation of the four pillars of donor relations, acknowledgment, stewardship, recognition and engagement. Donor relations will be donor centered and focused on gratitude and impact for all donors to the Stony Brook Foundation.
- Partner with senior leaders and key stakeholders around campus to design and execute a donor relations program that addresses the needs of Stony Brook University and its capital campaign.
- Manage a professional donor relations staff of three to four FTE’s.
- Assess and audit current programs and needs, make enhancement recommendations for program improvement.
- Develop and assesses policies and procedures across University Advancement that support a comprehensive donor relations program.
- Ensures endowed and current-use donor funded funds are awarded and stewarded according to donor intent working with the Office of Financial Aid and individual units around campus.
- Oversee all donor relations communications including but not limited to: receipts, acknowledgment letters, special impact messaging, and reporting.
- Special donor programming and recognition in support necessary giving and recognition societies.
- Design, implement, and coordinate a university-wide, comprehensive donor relations program that appropriately and consistently promotes engagement with and recognition of all donors, with an emphasis on major gift level donors.
- Sustain positive and mutually-rewarding relations between Stony Brook University and its donors.
- Work with Advancement Communications and other external relations areas in support of the production of stewardship publications, messaging, and content, such as the SBF Annual Report, impact reporting, annual fund outreach.
- Oversee reporting to donors in a timely, consistent and accurate manner on the use, impact, and financial management of their gifts.
- Ensures all data updates are sent to Advancement Services for processing in a timely and thorough manner.
- Handles extremely sensitive information with confidentiality and tact.
- Manage the daily functions of the Donor Relations and Stewardship staff under the direct supervision of the Associate Vice President for Advancement Services.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to staff, including regular staff reviews and functional support.
- Oversees the evaluation, negotiation, purchase, and renewal of support resources and outside services.
- Reviews resources for effectiveness, reliability, and comprehensive coverage on a regular basis.
- Represents donor relations’ needs in the evaluation, recommendation and selection of vendor services.
- Provide an ongoing assessment of donor relations’ practices, goals, and strategies.
- Keep abreast of new practices in donor relations and stewardship, donor-engagement metrics, stewardship analytics, and higher education philanthropy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
About Stony Brook:Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Director
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Advancement-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30-5Advancement-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Jul 12, 2018
Posting End Date: Aug 11, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: To be completed prior to posting
Salary Grade: SL6