Associate Information Technology Specialist - Engineering IT Shared Services (102455)
Associate IT Specialists, Engineering IT Shared Services
College Of Engineering
University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks Associate IT Specialists. Engineering IT is the primary information technology services provider for Engineering at Illinois, serving the IT needs of more than 1,100 faculty and staff and over 10,000 students. The mission is to ensure that all faculty, students and staff in the College have easy and well-supported access to IT services that are second to none in support of their teaching, research, and learning. Engineering IT prides itself on a user-centric approach to IT, with emphasis on effectiveness, visibility and accountability. The organization has a strong commitment to career and professional development with a dedicated training budget, defined promotion tracks and performance-based raises for full time positions. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team. More information about Engineering IT can be found at http://it.engineering.illinois.edu/about-us/.
Associate IT Specialists provide end-user workstation, application, and system support for assigned departments and users within the College of Engineering, which includes focusing on one or more of the following: administrative business and academic operations, classrooms and instructional labs, or research computing/HPC. This also includes managing file and print shares, wired networks, and Engineering specific software and licensing. The position report to the divisional manager, who reports to the Director, Engineering IT Shared Services.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Assigned to one of various sections within the Engineering IT organization structure (e.g. Help Desk Services, User Services, Instructional Services, Research Services)
- Work with units and individual faculty to provide the unique technological needs for their learning and research environment
- Consult with users on installation and use of software applications which also interface with network connections, and optimize systems for best performance
- Assist in planning, research, purchasing, and installation of IT systems and products (hardware/software deployment)
- Provide user assistance with network connectivity, administer local building networks, manage DNS and DHCP for departmental networks
- Maintain awareness of centrally provided services and assist users with those services
- Analyze functional and performance issues associated with use of technology, seek advice from peers and senior staff on possible solutions and implement corrective actions in a timely manner
- Perform varied IT tasks within defined policies and procedures
- Independently complete assigned tasks
- Advise on use of varied computing and communications technology
- Promote excellent Customer Service by responding to requests in a timely, polite, and professional manner
- Work to build relationships with assigned user community, seeking to understand and anticipate their needs
- Interact with various teams within Engineering IT Shared Services to ensure outstanding service delivery to the end-users.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- One (1) year full-time or equivalent part-time professional experience in IT operations.
- One (1) year experience supporting Windows, Macintosh, or Linux in a workstation environment.
- Experience working in a dynamic customer service environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot common desktop and mobile computing applications and hardware.
- Knowledge of basic networking concepts.
- Knowledge of basic IT security concepts.
- Completes assigned work under supervision.
- Experience with two or more operating system platforms.
- Experience in technology support at an institution of higher education or equivalent.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, or other directory service.
- Experience working in a team or collaborative environment.
The Associate IT Specialist positions are full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional positions appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Minimum salary is $37,700, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by September 27, 2018. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by that date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman at [email protected] or 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Associate Information Technology Specialist - Engineering IT Shared Services (102455)
Open Date: 09/13/2018
Organization Name: Engineering IT Shared Services