Counsel - UC Riverside
8AM - 5PM
Commensurate with Experience
Under the general supervision of the Chief Campus Counsel provides and applies legal service to the UCR campus and collaborates on system-wide initiatives with other lawyers in the Office of the President and at other UC campuses. Supports contract officers in negotiations, due diligence and drafting of definitive agreements. Also, works closely with and provides legal advice to risk managers, human resources and compliance officers. Assures compliance in supported affiliations with applicable law and regulation including federal and state fraud and abuse laws, antitrust laws, and laws governing tax-exempt organizations and bonds. Assists with the management of internal legal investigations and provides legal support to independent/non-privileged internal compliance and misconduct proceedings. This position has been designated for a Career Ladder recruitment (one opening), which means the hiring department can recruit and fill this role at different levels within the position classification series. This position is currently posted as a Legal Counsel 3 (job #201804259484) and Legal Counsel 4 (job #201807192221). Applicants are encouraged to review both positions to determine the best match for their skills and experience. All applicants will be assessed based on the minimum requirements for the level(s) for which they applied. If you wish to be considered in both pools or are unsure, please apply for both positions.
Strong written communication skills and ability to create and deliver effective materials and/or presentations appropriate to a particular audience.
Relevant practice experience in a law firm, or in-house counsel for an academic institution, corporation or other entity.
Thorough understanding of complex legal issues and ability to foresee implications in a University setting, even when ambiguous or hidden.
Relied on to represent institutional concerns persuasively to internal and external parties.
In-depth research skills to draft accurate, complete and persuasive legal documents, such as pleadings, legal responses, affidavits, position statements and briefs.
Strong coaching and leadership skills to provide clear expectations, guidance and performance feedback to less experienced attorneys and legal support staff.
Strong interpersonal communication skills, including proven ability to actively listen, negotiate, persuade and educate.
Skills to gain trust and build credibility with a broad group of colleagues and clients, to include senior leaders.
Demonstrated commitment to the highest ethical standards.
Proven decision making ability, even when unpopular, earning credibility and support from colleagues.
Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and tact when handling sensitive or potentially sensitive issues.
Proven abilities in collaboration, facilitation, and strategic and creative thinking.
Trusted partner with senior management and a diverse spectrum of clients.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview