RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II - Human Vaccine Institute
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II - Human Vaccine Institute
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI), an international leader in the fight against major infectious diseases, is seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Research Technician. Investigators at the DHVI conduct basic and translational research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for diseases that impact global health such as influenza, zika, HIV and malaria.
The Duke Regional Biocontainment Laboratory (RBL) is a division of the DHVI and supports a wide portfolio of research programs. The RBL has three collaborative core units: Immunology, Virology, and Microbiology. The Research Technician will work with the RBL Immunology team to prepare specimens for and perform PBMC processing, flow cytometry, ELISA, Luminex and other immunological assays. In addition, the technician will collect and interpret data and perform general laboratory maintenance and inventory management.
- Prepare specimens for and perform immunological procedures, including but not limited to: PBMC processing, flow cytometry, ELISA and Luminex assays.
- General laboratory maintenance including but not limited to: laboratory organization, preparation of solutions, waste processing, ordering/preparation/stocking of consumables and reagents, routine equipment calibration, maintenance of accurate sample and equipment inventories.
- Coordinate equipment maintenance performed by outside vendors.
- Attend all required training.
- Confer with Immunology Unit Manager / Principal Investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of particular studies as required.
- Manage and complete all assigned tasks/projects in accordance with standardized operating procedures and in full compliance with all safety protocols.
- Complete and maintain written and electronic documentation of research activities in real time according to standardized record keeping procedures.
- Collect and organize raw data into reports for interpretation and analysis.
- Perform additional duties as requested by Immunology Unit Manager and RBL/DHVI leadership.
Must be detail-oriented, well organized with strong communication skills and able to work in a team environment.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in biological science or a related field. Previous laboratory experience in immunology, virology, or cell biology is highly preferred.
The successful applicant must be eligible and willing to:
- Complete necessary training and certification for independent work at Biological Safety Level 3 (BSL3).
- Work with biological agents (viruses and bacteria) handled at BSL2 and BSL3.
- Comply with vaccination requirements.
- Complete Tier 1 Select Agent registration.
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or otherscience related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.