Graduate Student Career Development Specialist
Position Number 999590
Functional Title Graduate Student Career Development Specialist
Position Type Administration - Staff
This position is responsible for the development, administration, and management of educational and career-related programs and (experiential) activities that are linked to the educational mission of the graduate programs in the Bryan School. This position is primarily internally-focused on student engagement, but will work closely with the members of the Office of External Affairs (specifically the Employer Relations and Graduate Recruitment Specialists) to align support from external audiences.
This position has no direct reports, but will align with supporting personnel within the Office of External Affairs of the Bryan School. This position will report to the Assistant Dean of External Affairs.
Essential responsibilities include:
This position is responsible for independently supporting the needs of Bryan School graduate students by:
- Designing, managing, and delivering an annual calendar of student career development- related programming, including group presentations and workshops, to supplement student academic experiences.
- Working closely with the Employer Relations Specialist in building and sustaining external stakeholder relationships and to recruit companies for student developmental programs.
- Providing one-on-one and group career advising on topics including job search, methods of professional communications with prospective employers, career research resources, resume critiques, interview preparation, and internship searches.
- Serving as the internal point of contact for companies interested in recruiting Bryan School students for jobs and internships, as well as consulting projects.
- Working with the Director of Marketing to develop advertising materials to promote events to internal and external constituents (students, faculty, alumni, and community partners).
- Collaborate with University Career Services, and the Bryan School's Alumni Relations operations to align and support their efforts, as needed.
- Measuring effectiveness of delivered programs by providing accurate and timely data collection and reporting to appropriate personnel and departments within the Bryan School (and University) as requested/required.
- As a member of the Office of External Affairs within the Dean's Office, actively participate and engage in team-sponsored events and programs.
Evening hours and occasional weekends required. Additional duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Assistant Dean.
Skill Sets Required:
- Highly developed emotional intelligence skills (self-aware, self-regulated, and intrinsically-motivated).
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communications skills.
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Strong focus on personal presentation skills.
- Familiarity with the business disciplines taught in the Bryan School (i.e. economics management, accounting, finance, marketing, supply chain management, information systems, consumer retailing).
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities while meeting agreed-upon schedules and deadlines efficiently and effectively.
- Highly motivated, energetic, positive personality, able to work independently and as an integral team member.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in higher ed counseling, student affairs or human resources.
- Two years' experience in higher ed counseling, or related fields
- Proficiency with productivity tools such as M/S Word, Excel, and presentation tools (Powerpoint, Prezi).
- Master's degree (or working towards) in business, counseling, human resources, communication or student affairs.
- Broad knowledge and experience in counseling processes in a variety of business and/or academic fields.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, applicants must submit:
- Cover letter, not to exceed one page, detailing personal qualifications as they relate to the position description.
- List of references, including a minimum of three individuals for contact.
Recruitment Range Commensurate with experience.
Org #-Department Dean's Office - Bryan School of B&E - 11801
Job Open Date 09/11/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu