Course Faculty, Psychology| GE
A New Kind of U. As a competency-based, student-focused, online, nonprofit university, we do things a bit differently at WGU. From the bottom up, we're designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do. We have a fantastic work culture, career pathing, excellent benefits, 403B retirement account with a generous company match, vacation time and sick time plus many other great benefits
- Doctorate Degree
- 3+ years experience providing student support and instruction in the field of Psychology
Student learning is the primary responsibility of WGU faculty. Course Instructors are subject matter experts who teach and mentor students when students engage in their assigned courses. Course Instructors vary the type, length, and intensity of instructional method based upon student needs. Course Instructors work on a team to support an assigned group of students and offer specialized instruction on challenging topics. Using technology, Course Instructors interact with students in both group and one-on-one settings. As part of WGU’s disaggregated faculty model, Course Instructors provide their expertise and collaborate with the faculty who are responsible for developing and evaluating courses and assessments.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision. The Course Instructor must demonstrate a high level of commitment effectively and consistently.
- Provides expertise in assigned content area and maintains current knowledge in his/her field.
- Fosters student learning through innovative teaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Offers proactive support and outreach to assigned students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Participates and or leads training activities;
- Responds with urgency to changing requirements, priorities, and short deadlines.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
Special Position Requirements
- Travel/Commute: works primarily from home in the Continental U.S., but is available to travel to meetings as required.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Data entry, email and calendar, word process, and database programs.
- Extraordinary customer service and communication skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Well organized - conscientious and thorough with detail
Our employees must exemplify our WGU Leadership Principles. Course Instructors must start all decisions with students in mind. They innovate as they drive results. They engage in ongoing learning, act with urgency and integrity on behalf of the university, and take ownership of outcomes and strategies. Finally, a Course Instructor must inspire and develop students and earn the trust of students and colleagues at WGU.
- Doctorate, or terminal degree in a specific content area. (Psychology)Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing student support and instruction; demonstrated ability to work with at-risk learners.
- State and/or federal legislative requirements and/or college accreditation requirements may apply in order to maintain the necessary credentialing for this role.
WORK FROM HOME, United States