After School Program Tutor- Oakland Site (Mills College)
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit https://www.mills.edu/
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
During the school year Mills College Upward Bound offers an intensive but supportive after school program for our students. Tutors employment begins in September 2018 goes through May 2019. Primary responsibilities for tutors are to work with Upward Bound high school students in a weekday afternoon tutorial to provide academic support in various high school subjects. Establish and maintain effective and positive relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment. Communicate/work effectively with high school students who bring a range of educational backgrounds as well as a variety of learning styles. Work closely with Academic Coordinator and the Academic Advisor regarding students progress and needs.
Mills College Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded TRiO program designed to enhance the academic skills of low-income first generation college-bound high school students in the Oakland and West Contra Costa Unified School District with the goal that participants will pursue a post-secondary education. TRiO is funded by the U. S. Department of Education.
The Upward Bound Program is hiring after school tutors for our West Contra Costa (WCC, hereafter) After School Program. Our WCC After School Program will take place in Richmond, CA (location TBA) on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm.
- Strong knowledge of a variety of subjects such as English, History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Algebra I & II, pre-Calculus, Calculus AB/BC, Mandarin, Spanish, and/or French.
- Experience mentoring, tutoring and/or teaching low-income, first-generation college-bound students.
- Skills and knowledge to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Have completed sophomore year in college or university.
- Be in good academic standing at college or university attending (3.0 and above).
- Be able to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public.
- Be able to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Be able to work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Knowledge of the Mills College Upward Bound Programs mission and vision.
- Knowledge of child/adolescent cognitive development and different learning styles.
- Be able to attend the academic staff training.
- Enforce Upward Bound Program rules and regulations.
This is a non exempt part-time position that pays $16.00 per hour. The schedule is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm.[
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
To apply, please submit the following at https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=102531
- a cover letter specifying your qualifications and expertise
- your resume
- transcript and,
- contact information for three references
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled; review of candidates will begin immediately
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency