ACADEMIC ADVISOR II
ACADEMIC ADVISOR II
Posting Number: SRGV3559
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Academic Advising Center
Scope of Job:
Provides specialized professional career guidance and developmental academic advisement for current and prospective students, leadership in a particular advising area or college and specialized academic advisement for at-risk students. Develops, implements, and evaluates initiatives that complement individual advising strategies to encourage student academic success.
Description of Duties:
• Provides informative and collaborative academic advising for assigned student population. Position builds on the essential functions of Academic Advisor I.
• Teaches students strategies related to academic planning and monitoring, major selection, and academic success.
• Provides career guidance to assist students in self-evaluation and choosing a major in relation to their career and life goals.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge and disseminates information to students regarding University policies, course/ degree options, program admissions criteria and degree completion requirements.
• Manages the process of planning, implementing, and evaluating interventions for targeted populations.
• Enters data regarding academic advisement services.
• Collaborates with other staff to assess academic advising practices and materials, services and resources with the objective of improving the student experience.
• Develops, provides and coordinates presentations for orientations, trainings, university events and activities regarding academic advising, retention initiatives, mentoring and academic success.
• Mentors new employees within assigned area.
• Collaborates with college departments to develop tools and resources related to major selection, academic planning and academic success based on up-to-date degree plans and admission/graduation policies & criteria.
• Participates in professional development programming, assessment, and mentoring opportunities which enhance skills and knowledge in academic advisement and related fields.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General direction from assigned supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
Graduate coursework leading towards a Master’s degree in Counseling and Guidance, Clinical or Counseling Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work or related field from an accredited university.
Three (3) years of experience in academic advising or related student service experience in a higher education setting.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment: some travel and weekend/evening work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Ability to use computers for word processing, calendar sharing, emailing, accessing student academic information. Ability to successfully collaborate with faculty, administrators within higher education (i.e. college deans, department chairs, and other administrators, etc.) and professional staff. Strong written/verbal communication, collaboration and presentation skills. Ability to apply current university academic policies and procedures, current academic advisement practices, student academic monitoring and retention efforts. Ability to identify specific student needs and to refer students effectively to available resources. Able to read and interpret state guidelines.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/07/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/19069
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency