ACADEMIC ADVISOR I
ACADEMIC ADVISOR I
Posting Number: SRGV3553
Number of Vacancies: 2
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Academic Advising Center
Scope of Job:
Provides collaborative academic advisement and professional career guidance for current and prospective students. Utilizes data to identify, monitor, and assess students' progress toward degree completion, implementing and evaluating appropriate interventions as needed.
Description of Duties:
• Provides informative and collaborative academic advising for assigned student population.
• Works with external university staff related to appropriate support and academic needs of targeted student populations.
• Teaches students strategies related to academic planning and monitoring, major selection, and academic success.
• Provides career guidance to assist students in self-evaluation and choosing a major in relation to their career and life goals.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge and disseminates information to students regarding University policies, course/ degree options, program admissions criteria and degree completion requirements.
• Uses data and case management skills to identify, intervene in, and evaluate targeted students’ degree progress.
• Enters data regarding academic advisement services.
• Collaborates with other staff to assess academic advising practices and materials, services and resources with the objective of improving the student experience.
• Maintains a high-level of communication with students and staff. This includes, but is not limited to, the ability to build relationships with students, faculty, staff, and others in the external community.
• Participates in professional development programming, assessment, and mentoring opportunities which enhance skills and knowledge in academic advisement and related fields.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in education, psychology or related field.
One (1) year of experience within an education or service-related agency working with college students.
One (1) year of experience providing career guidance and/or advisement for college students in a university setting.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment: some travel and weekend/evening work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Ability to use computers for word processing, calendar sharing, emailing, accessing student academic information. Ability to successfully collaborate with faculty, administrators within higher education (i.e. college deans, department chairs, and other administrators, etc.) and professional staff. Strong written/verbal communication, collaboration and presentation skills. Ability to apply current University academic policies and procedures, current academic advisement practices, student academic monitoring and retention efforts. Ability to identify specific student needs and to refer students effectively to available resources. Able to read and interpret state guidelines.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/07/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/19062
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency