Director, University Center for Writing-based Learning
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Reporting to the Associate Provost for Student Success and Accreditation in a professional staff position, the Director of the University Center for Writing-based Learning (UCWbL) oversees the strategic & operational planning and execution for all the programs and initiatives within the University Center for Writing-based Learning on two campuses and online. The Center serves the entire DePaul community with 15,000 appointments and over 200 workshops per year. The Director makes decisions guided by the UCWbL's and DePaul's mission & values. The Director also serves as the supervisor of record; hires, develops, and assesses all staff members' expertise and performance related to their work with writers and writing instructors. Finally, the Director fosters a culture of writing-based & collaborative learning within the UCWbL, throughout the university, and with local and global partners.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Manages the day-to-day operations, staff, and budget of the University Center for Writing-based Learning.
- Oversees the annual hiring, onboarding, ongoing professional development, and performance evaluation of all staff members, including teaching a section of WRD 582 or 395: Writing Center Theory & Pedagogy (the required course for new tutors).
- Assesses the use, quality, and effectiveness of all programs and services, and plans for changes as needed.
- Serves on university committees, such as the Academic Assessment, Co-Curricular Assessment, and Teaching Commons committees.
- Maintains active involvement in the fields of writing centers, writing studies, and teaching & learning.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Minimum 3 years experience in a Writing Center or related academic support service.
- Directly manages 4 FT and 3 PT staff members.
- Collaborates with Associate Directors and Coordinators to supervise the 70+ student employees who work as peer writing tutors.
- Makes final decisions for hiring, promotion, and termination.
- Responsible for the planning, analysis, and reconcilement of an annual budget of approximately $750,000.
Other Skills & Abilities Required
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate and lead collaborations.
- Manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Must be comfortable and proficient with technology (e.g., learning management systems, online scheduling platforms, ePortfolios, databases, project management tools, and enterprise management systems).
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
FOR CONSIDERATION PLEASE INCLUDE A COVER LETTER ALONG WITH YOUR RESUME.
This Job Posting will expire on Saturday, November 17th at 12:00 am.
- Some evening and weekend hours.
- Travel between DePaul campuses required.
- Some travel for professional events required.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit hr.depaul.edu.
Required Background Check: Employment at DePaul University is contingent on passing a background check. Only final candidates who are extended an offer of employment will undergo a background check.
Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect: Upon accepting an offer of employment with the university, you will also be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status at the time of hire. A mandated reporter is required to make a report to the Illinois DCFS Hotline whenever there is reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be abused or neglected. For more information, please review the Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS) Illinois Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act.
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.