Visiting Assistant Director for University Relations
University of Illinois System
Office for University Relations
Visiting Assistant Director for University Relations
The System Offices seeks a Visiting Assistant Director for University Relations to coordinate and support operations related to initiatives planned and implemented by the Office for University Relations (OUR) to achieve strategic media and communications objectives and goals in support of the president.
The position includes: researching and drafting remarks, news releases, op-eds, massmails, speeches, letters, and presentations consistent with University messaging and in collaboration with other System Offices and, as necessary, university offices; accompanying the president on outreach events, coordinating media availabilities, monitoring speeches, and providing general off-site support; researching and drafting presidential presentations, collecting visuals, assuring consistency of messaging, and preparing files for posting online; preparing real-time social media posts that reflect the president’s presence around the state and at university events; enhancing the president’s website presence; drafting text for use in publications and online. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Research and draft remarks, news releases, op-eds, massmails, and presentations assuring that the information is consistent with University messaging.
a. Collaborate with other System offices (e.g., governmental relations, vice president for research) as well as university public affairs offices.
b. Draft letters of thanks, congratulations, and acknowledgment to constituents, donors, and alumni; draft proclamations.
2. Accompany the president during outreach trips around the state, coordinating media availabilities at remote locations, monitoring speeches, and providing general off-site support.
3. At events, post accurate, appropriate, and timely social media messages (tweets, etc.) in support of the president’s goals and objectives and to enhance the image of the System.
4. Research and draft presidential presentations, collecting visuals and assuring consistency of messaging; coordinate presentations with OUR staff and the Office of the President; prepare files for posting online.
5. Enhance the uillinois.edu website presence using the content management system; locate, format, and post appropriate data; update existing content and expand as necessary; collaborate with other OUR staff as well as technical and graphic design staff to maintain the quality and consistency of presentation.
6. Identify and share news and stories that advance the strategic communications objectives and priorities of the Office for University Relations.
7. Write articles for use in publications (Pocket Facts, annual report) and online.
8. Upon request, edit draft text, verifying information and data, ensuring accuracy and professionalism.
9. Act as spokesperson on certain topics and/or as assigned. In this role, this position has the responsibility to represent the University of Illinois System in matters of significance.
10. Serve and work collaboratively on System, university, and/or Office for University Relations committees/teams as assigned.
11. Perform other assigned duties appropriate for the position of Visiting Assistant Director.
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Political Science, or related field and a minimum of five years of work experience acquired in a media, business or academic environment. Other requirements include: experience with handling confidential information.; excellent writing ability for a variety of outlets (speeches, online, print); excellent verbal communications skills; independent research skills and ability to work closely with subject matter experts on a variety of topics; excellent problem-solving skills that require the ability to identify problems, gather data, establish facts, and present valid conclusions in response to problems; demonstrated supervisory and managerial skills to establish and maintain an effective, productive work environment; analytical and graphical skills using a variety of software; strong interpersonal skills to develop good working relationships; ability to work independently and use independent judgment and experience with budget development and management; ability to exercise good judgment and discretion; excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills to produce accurate, detail-oriented work while meeting stringent deadlines; willingness to travel as requested; ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information; proficiency with Microsoft computer programs (including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Internet Explorer) Adobe Acrobat; demonstrated interest and knowledge of and aptitude for technology and new media.
Preferred qualifications: Master’s degree; prior work experience at a newspaper or other media outlet; seven years of writing experience; prior work experience in a higher education institution, preferably the University of Illinois System.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by October 3, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Office conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The System Office is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.