Foreman of Trades
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Buildings & Grounds, the Foreman of Trades will organize, prioritize and supervise activities and personnel pertinent to the operation, improvement, and expansion of buildings and structures at the college. The Foreman of Trades works with Foreman of Grounds to ensure a smooth seamless appearance between areas. They will coordinate with housekeeping to ensure minimal amount of re-cleaning from day-to-day operations and project work. This position works a Monday through Friday schedule (7:00 am – 3:30 pm) and is considered essential personnel. This position will require substantial overtime.
- Respond to emergencies and direct operations to solve, problems relating to physical plant.
- Ability to read plans and layouts, etc. and convey to subordinates. In addition, position requires ability to estimate projects and prepare materials list for jobs.
- Meet with subcontractors and obtain bids for work to be performed on campus. Schedule contractors to perform work and ensure work is completed properly and in a timely manner.
- Under general supervision, perform duties independently according to broadly prescribed renovations, and maintenance projects. This position requires approximately 25% actual hands-on work with 75% of the position being supervisory and managerial.
- Schedule and attend weekly meetings with Foreman of Grounds and Foreman of Housekeeping to ensure smooth and orderly project completion.
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Position requires that the employee be on call approximately every 8 weeks for a one-week period. In addition, works every third Saturday, 4 – 8 hours as required.
- Housekeeping duties: responsible for keeping work area clean and safe at all times.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Assist all other B&G functions when required.
- Working knowledge of heating, plumbing, electricity and general construction practices.
- Basic data entry skills required.
- Supervise (7 - 11) full-time trades people, work study and part-time helpers as required.
- Occasionally cover supervision for Foreman of Grounds.
- Responsible for the supervision of outside contractors as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Trade school preferred in one or more of the following fields: Electrical, HVAC & Plumbing.
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs occasionally and 50 lbs often.
- Must be able to climb stairs/ladders.
- 15 years related work experience.
- Construction supervisor’s license preferred.
- Five years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to prioritize and organize several concurrent projects.
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills required.
- Willingness to enhance the effectiveness of the position through workshops, seminars or other further education.
- Valid Massachusetts Driver’s license required with a good driving record.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.