Associate Vice President for Government Relations
The Associate Vice President of Government Relations promotes the goals and objectives of Kennesaw State University to external constituencies. He/she serves as a key liaison to state and federal legislators and policy makers, leaders of the executive branch, University System of Georgia campus and system office officials, business and civic leaders.
- Acts as liaison on behalf of Kennesaw State University to the executive and legislative branches of state and federal government;
- Identify short and long-term institutional priorities and develop action plans that require governmental, legislative and community support;
- Maintain communication with and provide updates to stakeholders at Kennesaw State University during the legislative process;
- Create strategic partnerships to communicate issue advocacy on behalf of Kennesaw State University (which includes federal, state, community, corporate, and campus and visitor relations);
- Recognize and pursue opportunities for University/community collaborations;
- Identify and cultivate opportunities that will help identify and cultivate funding opportunities at the federal level in conjunction with the University Office of Research;
- Engage community, business, educational, non-profit, governmental and other constituents in activities and issues important to the university;
- Create and manage tracking of key pieces of legislation and policy issues that impact higher education and appropriations at both the state and federal level;
- Collaborate with the Office of Alumni Affairs to build a network to support institutional priorities as needed;
- Attend appropriate committee and staff meetings as required.
- Ability and willingness to understand the unique culture of public higher education
- Able to deal with multiple tasks or projects at one time
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, technology, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong Attention to detail and strong organizational and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone etiquette
Minimum of 7 years of experience working in the governmental arena, developing and leading strategic advocacy efforts. Candidates must have a comprehensive understanding of the legislative process and experience working with all levels of government to advance priorities.