Occupational Health Clinic Nurse (Part-time)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Environmental Health and Safety Department
Job Title: Occupational Health Clinic Nurse (Part-time)
Position #742043 - Requisition #14659
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who we are:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets. Read more about us here.
Environmental Health and Safety Department has an opening for a part-time University Staff (unclassified) Occupational Health Clinic Nurse position. This position is located on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado.
Jobs in this career family are responsible for performing a wide range of professional duties to support the university's teaching, research and/or service missions through the provision of health and wellness services, dealing with general, indirect patient care operations and management of healthcare services. Functions include hospital administration, healthcare regulatory compliance, patient relations, operational services, admissions, and medical records. Includes professional assignments in medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, counseling and behavioral health, public health, dietetics and nutrition, other allied health fields, alternative medicine and therapies, and related disciplines.
Senior Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed fully independently.
This half time position serves as the Occupational Health Clinic Nurse and represents the University in this capacity for front-line contact with researchers, animal care providers, and service personnel focusing on promotion of health, prevention of illness and injury, and protection from occupational hazards. The Occupational Health Nurse provides an integrated approach to delivery of comprehensive quality occupational health services conducting clinical services for a wide variety of research, health care, educational, and support organizations. The position provides preventive occupational health and medical surveillance services to a robust and dynamic academic biomedical research and graduate educational program that includes providing services to approximately 3000 researchers and staff, as well as approximately 2000 graduate students.
Responsibilities include health hazard assessment, injury/illness investigation, promotion of intervention strategies, and assuring compliance with legal, regulatory, and ethical standards. The Occupational Health Nurse advocates for employees and students, fostering equitable and quality health care services and safe and healthy environments in which to work.
The position works closely with and fosters strong working relationships with the research community including the principal investigators, laboratory workers, graduate students, animal care staff, researchers using rDNA, infectious agents, as well the University Police, EH&S and Facilities personnel.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
What we can offer:
- The salary range for this position starts at $32,500, and is commensurate with skills and experience
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
What we require:
- A bachelor's degree in nursing with 2 years of RN experience
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Colorado (or ability to obtain a Colorado license within 4 weeks of hiring)
Substitution: Associate's Degree in Nursing with a minimum of two years of professional experience related to the assignment may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year to year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicant must agree to obtain and pass a pre- or post-placement physical with a drug test, and a background check.
- Must be willing and able to work part-time.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience in providing occupational health services in an outpatient clinic
- Experience in an environment supporting research protocols subject to guidelines and regulations from:
- Centers for Disease Control
- National Institute of Health Animal Use Research
- US Department of Agriculture
- US Department of Defense
What you will need:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- Ability to perform phlebotomy, vaccinations, plant and read Mantoux TB skin tests. Pulmonary and hearing function assessment are a plus as not currently performed. Ability to review Respirator Medical Evaluation questionnaire and refer medical conditions to medical director.
- Consults appropriately with MD or supervisor and is aware which circumstances need supervisory or medical advice before proceeding with action
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in working with researchers, healthcare professionals, administrators, employees, environmental health and safety staff, and regulatory agencies.
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Excellent computer skills with such programs as Microsoft Office, and daily use of Outlook for email communication and time management
- Ability to develop and maintain collegial and cooperative relationships with members of the research and animal care staff, and Occupational Health, EHS divisions and Anschutz Health and Wellness Center staff.
- Organized and able to prioritize workload using professional judgment, as well as knowing when to ask for assistance.
- Ability to effectively handle situations that fall outside of standing orders, set limits, and be flexible.
- Qualities include punctuality, resiliency, customer service oriented, attention to detail, friendly, professional appearance, a positive, professional attitude, and a team player.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jeanne Meagher at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60078 - ADM-VCR EH&S Anschutz
Posting Date: Oct 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jeanne Meagher
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00742043