Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Emergency Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Position #  - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty, and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly-rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, CO, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for the Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affording our students, faculty, and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational, and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education, and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, CO, it is one of the newest education, research, and patient care facilities in the world. With its six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research, and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work
This position will perform research duties for the Research Team for the Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine provides clinical services at Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO) Emergency Department, in Aurora, CO, as well as at six other sites in our Network of Care, surrounding metro Denver and Colorado Springs. These include a 24/7 ED/Urgent Care at CHCO South campus in Highlands Ranch; a 24/7 Urgent Care at CHCO North campus in Broomfield; a 24/7 ED/Urgent Care at CHCO Uptown Campus; a 24/7 Emergency Department at CHCO at Parker Adventist Hospital; an after-hours urgent care facility at CHCO Wheat Ridge; and an after-hours urgent care at Briargate, in Colorado Springs.
Each year we care for over 175,000 pediatric patients at these seven facilities. Our large group of pediatric faculty includes pediatric emergency physicians, pediatricians, advanced practice providers (nurse practitioners and physician assistants), PhDs, and fellows.
The successful candidate will have experience as a professional research assistant, including experience with research administration, especially working with the creation of research documents, and will conduct trials in the emergency department. These trials include but are not limited to, safety/efficacy, including drug and treatment trials; quality assurance; and assessment of patients' and caregivers' comfort and comprehension. The bulk of the hire's effort will be given to study preparations and other research-related work, and support for the Lead PRA, Research Manager, and Research Director.
Professional Research Assistant duties, with administrative experience.
This individual will work with the research team, performing research-related activities, including some administrative research-related tasks. Duties will include, but are not limited to, working with the Lead PRA on research documents; COMIRB and other IRB submissions; collaboration with research team; performance of studies as related to research projects; scheduling research meetings and events; taking meeting minutes; supporting the Research Team and its leadership; collecting time off requests; maintaining PRA schedules; hiring and on-boarding for the research team; and ordering supplies. This Professional Research Assistant will also assist with updating the research boards and keeping them current. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for the above tasks, but will also have knowledge of the conduct of clinical trials.
Examples of Work Performed:
Professional Research Assistant Duties (75%)
- Assist with COMIRB submissions, including tracking and saving updated documents
- Ensure all research personnel are up-to-date on educational and training requirements specific to their function and duties
- Maintain a log of expiration dates of licenses, CITI certificates, trainings, etc.
- Update research boards quarterly (this consists of working with the Research Director to feature and post information about our current, ongoing research)
- Assist with tracking and maintaining research documents, including filing, as needed
- After a study is closed, coordinate sending files to offsite storage
- Update Zotero, an online database, with any new research-related publications for the section
- Coordinate monthly research staff meetings and visitors' meetings (such as PECARN members, Study PIs, Study monitors, Project Managers, etc.)
- Create research meeting agendas and take minutes; plan, schedule, and coordinate meetings involving research protocols; set up conference calls
- Screen and assist in assessment of patients seen in the ED for eligibility in multiple ongoing prospective clinical and observational research studies
- Enroll eligible patients into clinical and observational research studies
- Complete the consent process, including contacting patients; explaining study procedures and the required forms; answering questions concerning the studies, and obtaining signatures for informed consent and assent from patients and caregivers
- Perform and/or coordinate the procedures of the studies
- Instruct clinical staff on their study roles and duties
- Ensure accurate completion of data collection forms
- Perform accurate data entry and query resolution
- Review medical charts
- Conduct follow-up interviews, both in-person and via telephone
- Perform some unskilled clinical care duties, including spinning and processing blood
- Perform other duties necessary for completion of research studies
- Assist with retrospective chart review studies
- Track inventory and order supplies and software for the research team
Administrative Duties (25%)
- Assist with coordination of interviewing, hiring, and onboarding new research team employees
- Responsible for creation and maintenance of PRA schedules, tracking time-off requests, and assisting the Research Manager in tracking sick and vacation time for the team
- Maintain Administrative SOPs (shared with RM, Lead PRA), and proofread research SOPs
- Create and submit expense reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Act as a staff assistant to the Director of Research, which includes but is not limited to scheduling meetings and taking minutes.
- Co-manage meeting schedule and calendar for Director of Research
- Assist participants with academic conferences (ACEP, SAEM, PAS, AAP regional, national and international)
In the event of a disaster emergency and while under the supervision of ED leadership, this position will have the option to work as a scribe in the ED, or in another capacity suitable to and within the scope of the employee's skill level.
- BS/BA degree
- One year prior experience in clinical research and/or clinical experience, including experience conducting the Informed Consent Process
- At least two (2) years of general clerical experience, which included (1) year of experience working in an administrative assistant or equivalent position
- Experience in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Bilingual English/Spanish-speaking skills
- Experience working in an emergency/trauma outpatient setting
- Professional experience communicating with persons under emergency conditions or in high-stress situations
- Experience working with children and parents
- Experience with Electronic Health Record (EHR), and REDCap
- Experience with scheduling work shifts
- Experience working with Financial Software programs and tracking systems
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally
- Ability to multi-task, as we are screening for multiple studies at any given moment
- Ability to work in a sometimes-stressful environment
- Ability to identify patients qualifying for many diverse clinical research studies
- Ability and willingness to be present in patient rooms during procedures that may or may not be related to the study
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Willingness to receive supervision
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- Able to perform duties autonomously as well as under direct supervision, with strong personal direction and motivation; must possess excellent organizational skills
- Willingness to complete trainings necessary to perform job
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $37,000 to $42,000 is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Mimi Munroe at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20989 - SOM-PEDS Emergency-GenOps
Posting Date: Sep 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Mimi Munroe
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00753169