Community Worker - University of Illinois Extension - Collinsville, IL (102701)
Community Worker - University of Illinois Extension (2 positions)
Units 22 & 26 Cluster - Collinsville, IL (Madison County - Unit 22)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The civil service employee will support the implementation of the University of Illinois Extension Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Education Program (SNAP-Ed) as directed by the specified County Director. The Community Worker will work with local residents (adults and youth) identified for SNAP-Ed programming to provide basic nutrition, food safety, physical activity, and food budgeting education for low-income individuals. The intent of this program is to work in collaboration with SNAP eligible families to provide educational services, information and skills that empower families to make positive changes for their health.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct basic nutrition, food safety, physical activity and food budgeting programs for intended population at organizations/agencies within the target community as outlined in the SNAP-Ed plan. This may include leading active cooking demonstrations and leading basic physical activity demonstrations for adult and youth audiences
- In conjunction with partnering organizations, recruit program participants for nutrition education classes/workshops
- Utilize and disseminate nutrition education materials, tool kits, and resources as provided and outlined in the SNAP-Ed plan
- Collaborate with other Extension staff within the unit/region to meet unit and State SNAP-Ed plan goals
- Collaborate with specified Extension staff to identify potential community partners that serve low-income families
- Collect data for program evaluations to measure program impact
- Complete required reports, including SNAP-Ed activity reports, contact reports, attendance sheets, program evaluations/impact, travel, and other required reporting. Enter reports into online electronic database as directed
- As directed, promote Extension opportunities that would meet the needs of target audience.
- Refer SNAP-Ed clients to other local agencies (FCRC, WIC, food pantries, etc.) and other Extension staff based upon additional needs/concerns
- Participate in local, regional and statewide professional development opportunities and staff meetings, including limited but required overnight travel
- Must be able to take and pass the Certified Food Protection Manager course within the first six months of employment
- Comply with all University of Illinois Extension and USDA policies and procedures in programs and employment
- Perform other duties that contribute to the mission of University of Illinois Extension programming as assigned
- Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and
guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assist Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports
- Local, regional, and statewide travel required; personal transportation required
- Other related duties as assigned
One year of experience (paid or unpaid) in work related to the job to be performed
For more information about this classification:
These Community Worker positions are 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service positions. The work schedule is to be determined (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $13.49 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for EXT-COMM WRKR-COLLINSVILLE (MADISON). Please include all relevant work/volunteer experience coordinating educational and/or community programs or activities. This information should be included in the Experience portion of the application. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or email@example.com.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Extension
Title: Community Worker - University of Illinois Extension - Collinsville, IL (102701)
Open Date: 09/06/2018
Close Date: 09/11/2018
Organization Name: Unit 22