Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
We seek a highly motivated individual to work to solve challenging biomedical questions using state-of-the-art mass spectrometry techniques. Prospective individuals will join a productive team utilizing bioanalytical methods to answer complex questions in health and disease. Working under the direction of the Core Manager and Director, the candidate will assume responsibility for: a) sample preparation and data analysis for mass spectrometry experiments; b) carrying out proteomics analyses for the qualitative and quantitative characterization of complex biological samples (cell cultures and tissues); c) instrumentation quality control; d) communication with collaborators about experimental design and results; e) assisting with preparation of technical reports, publications, and presentations; f) updating computer software as needed. The position requires strong motivation and commitment, analytical skills, attention to details, software & computer capabilities, and places an emphasis on communication and interpersonal skills. The position requires the ability to work independently on multiple projects concurrently while maintaining a high level of quality control. Successful candidates will have an opportunity for authorship on original manuscripts based on their work.
Specific Position Duties with Percentage of Time:
10% Evaluate analytical platforms
- Routine calibration, testing and validation of LC and MS systems
- Assist with instrument troubleshooting and repair
- Biomolecule extraction
- Preparation and characterization of internal standard solutions
- Method comparison and optimization
- Maintenance of technical analytical equipment, including preparing buffers
35% Data acquisition, analysis and validation
- Acquire and analyze proteomics data
- Prepare report of quantitative findings including statistical analysis
- Maintain laboratory research records of all experiments performed
10% Dissemination of results and assisting in generating publications
- Oral and written presentation of technical results
- Meet with clients (faculty, students, and researchers) to present results of technical analyses
5% General Lab Operations Duties
- Communicate regularly with manager and clients (timely phone/email responses)
- Generate written protocols
- Maintenance of computers, software and data records
- BS or MS in physical or life sciences. Chemistry, biochemistry, or life sciences preferred
- Excellent oral and written communications skills are required.
- The ability to independently solve problems and troubleshoot experiments and instrumentation is required.
- Experience maintaining good records of research and reporting scientific findings is required.
- Experience with bench science and analytical instrumentation is required.
- Candidate must be proficient with computer operating systems (Windows and/or Mac) and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Proficiency with data analysis software is strongly preferred.
- Candidates with a working knowledge of LC-MS techniques are preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14675
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20085 - SOM-BioChem&Molecular Genetics
Posting Date: Sep 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ryan Hill
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00753773