Course Instructor, General Education, Applied Healthcare Statistics
A New Kind of U. As a competency-based, student-focused, online, nonprofit university, we do things a bit differently at WGU. From the bottom up, we're designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do. We have a fantastic work culture, career pathing, excellent benefits, 403B retirement account with a generous company match, vacation time and sick time plus many other great benefits
WGU seeks faculty course instructors with a successful track record teaching in higher education to work with our General Education - Mathematics students.
Course Instructors at WGU function as subject matter experts who assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum. The Course Instructors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, nor grade assessments. Their primary focus is on bringing WGU courses of study to life through one-to-one or one-to-many engagements.
- PhD in Mathematics required; other qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs
- Teaching experience in a higher-education setting, ideally with adult learners
- Subject matter expertise in Mathematics, including College Algebra, Probability and Statistics required
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Must be lawfully employable in the United States either by virtue of citizenship or by permanent residency via a green card.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Proactively provide coaching, support, and subject matter expertise to students enrolled in assigned course;
- Communicate professionally, relate well, and share a passion for Mathematics to motivate a diverse and large group of students;
- Respond to student inquiries about content, learning resources, or assessment in a timely manner;
- Provide relevant information on student tasks based on feedback from assessment graders;
- Provide additional resources to students based on content expertise while maintaining the students' responsibility for task competency;
- Maintain current and active knowledge in assigned course in order to bring examples and ideas to students.
Special Position Requirements
- Travel/Commute: works primarily from home in the Continental U.S., but is available to travel to meetings as required.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
- Is a team player and collaborates well with others to achieve a common goal
- Strong verbal communication skills with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking style
- Comfortable with collecting, analyzing, and using quantitative information to enhance the student experience
- Thrives in a dynamic, innovative work environment
- Must be technologically competent: experience using Outlook email and calendar, online teaching platforms, video conferencing tools, and MS Office is required
Our employees must exemplify our WGU Leadership Principles. Course Instructors must start all decisions with students in mind. They innovate as they drive results. They engage in ongoing learning, act with urgency and integrity on behalf of the university, and take ownership of outcomes and strategies. Finally, a Course Instructor must inspire and develop students and earn the trust of students and colleagues at WGU.
WORK FROM HOME, United States