Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
In collaboration with head coaches and athletic administrative staff, assistant coach will engage in player skill development, practice planning, identification and recruitment of athletically and academically qualified student-athletes, scouting opponents, managing team travel, organizing program fundraising and community service activities and maintaining parent and alumni communication. Coaches will demonstrate commitment to the W&L philosophy by emphasizing academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship on and off the playing field.
Status: Full-Time with Benefits
Weekly Schedule: 8:30-4:30 with frequent evening and weekend hours as required by sport
Essential and Related Functions
- Recruits quality prospective student-athletes and ensures timely submission of their academic records for admissions.
- Plans coaching and practice sessions in accordance with Conference and university regulations.
- Coaches team members individually and in groups, and demonstrates game techniques. Manages designated skill development areas or groups of positions. Develops and recommends strategy, teaches theoretical skill and position assignments.
- Monitor the purchase of uniforms, equipment and supplies, including accountability for expense control and administration of the sport’s budget.
- Promotes the athletic program and specific sport through community events, public speaking, fundraising, and marketing.
- Ensures compliance with all Association, Conference, and University rules by athletes and supporting staff.
- Mentors and advises students on personal health, strength training, and nutrition. Focuses attention on student athlete conduct and coaches appropriate behavior to support the image and reputation of the athletics program.
- Teaches physical education courses as required for student graduation criteria.
- Communicates consistently with head-coaches, administration, and peers about program goals, status, and needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree and collegiate playing experience is preferred. Must be committed to a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship on and off the playing field. Strong understanding of various coaching techniques and a willingness to learn new methods of instruction. Must possess a valid driver's license.
Position will remain open until filled. For priority consideration, applicants should apply within the next 10 - 14 days. Applicants will be required to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Washington and Lee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As such, we are interested in candidates who are committed to high standards of scholarship, performance and professionalism and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity in our faculty, staff and student body. Job description requirements are representative, but not all‐inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
Washington and Lee affirms that diverse perspectives and backgrounds enhance our community. We are committed to the recruitment, enrichment, and retention of students, faculty, and staff who embody many experiences, cultures, points of view, interests, and identities. As engaged citizens in a global and diverse society, we seek to advance a positive learning and working environment for all through open and substantive dialogue.