Assistant Professor of Education
Assistant Professor of Education
Winthrop University: College of Education: Education Core Department
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Open Date: Sep 12, 2018
The Department of Core Education at Winthrop University is seeking an innovative and involved tenure-track assistant professor to teach as a generalist in education content across programs. Possible courses and responsibilities based on the individual’s qualifications could include developmental sciences; school-based assessment; PK-6 content methods or curriculum (including literacy); or supervision of teacher candidates.
The Richard W. Riley College of Education (COE) has a strong reputation in the preparation and advancement of highly qualified professionals for South Carolina and the country. Historically renowned in educator preparation, Winthrop University is NCATE-accredited and has received national recognition for its clinically-based teacher preparation and partnerships with local schools. The university enjoys close proximity to Charlotte, NC, high quality local schools, and an affordable cost of living. The college is committed to building a diverse educational environment. Individuals from under-represented groups or with experience working with under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Position Availability: August 15, 2019
- Teach courses in education for prospective teachers that relate to core education content that serves various programs as well as PK-6 curriculum
- Collaborate with public school/university faculty to plan and teach an experience-based curriculum
- Engage with Education Core department as well as other program faculty to ensure fidelity of the educator preparation program
- Supervise students in field experiences and internships in local schools
- Advise and mentor graduate and undergraduate education students
- Use technology to enhance student learning, increase access, maintain program data, and facilitate recruitment and retention efforts
- Conduct educationally significant research to improve the education of children
- Provide service to the profession in community and professional organizations
- Serve as a productive faculty member in all areas of university expectations (student intellectual development, scholarly activity, professional stewardship, and academic responsibility)
- Engage in teaching and other program-related activities in the evenings, summers, online, and occasionally weekends, as needed
- Doctorate in education (ABD nearing dissertation completion may be considered at instructor level in a non-tenure track position)
- PK-6 teaching experience
- Current knowledge of issues, trends, and innovative practices in education
- Ability to teach a variety of courses including those for PK-6 initial preparation candidates
- Record of emerging or demonstrated scholarship commensurate with rank
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the department, college, university, and community levels
- At least 3 years of successful PK-6 teaching experience
- Successful college teaching experience working with initial teacher education candidates
- Expertise in working with diverse populations such as second language learners, students with exceptionalities, and students living in poverty.
- Focused coursework or experience in developmental sciences, school-based assessment, literacy, and/or another PK-6 content field
- Experience with edTPA
- Demonstrated ability in the use of technology and digital tools for instructional purposes
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time, tenure-track position. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Option of summer employment with sufficient enrollments.
Application review will begin on November 1, 2018. Applications received after the start of review may be considered if an acceptable candidate is not identified.
Submit the following materials:
- A cover letter including the candidate’s interest in the position, leadership experience, qualifications, teaching philosophy, and research interests;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Graduate transcripts for all advanced degrees (unofficial acceptable for application phase); and
- Names and contact information for five professional references. (Provide in the required form available in application system.)
Additional materials may be requested during the review process.
Specific questions related to this search should be directed to email@example.com
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.