The grants manager works with office staff, Principal Investigators (PIs), and campus partners to ensure the effective administration of externally-funded grants and contracts, overseeing project procurement and hiring, handling questions about university and sponsor policies, and monitoring project spending rates.
- Advise PIs on allow ability of expenditures per award terms and conditions, including re-budgeting as necessary. Work with PIs to monitor rate of expenditures.
- Advise PI’s on University policies and procedures for grant related travel, human resources, procurement and research compliance. Provide guidance on Federal and other sponsor regulations.
- Supervise one or more Grants Assistants, overseeing project procurement and staff hiring.
- Monitor PI compliance with project reporting.
- Collect annual COI disclosures from PIs and co-PIs.
- Solid understanding of Federal grant proposal and award policies and regulations
- Ability to think on one’s feet and adjust course as necessary
- Strong communication skills in written, oral, and electronic forms
- Ability to deal with multiple projects at one time
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently with guidance
- Interpersonal skills that foster teamwork
- Attention to detail and willingness to follow-up
- Ability to embrace change and learn new skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Phone and email etiquette
- Certified Research Administrator (CRA) or CPRA/CFRA
- Familiarity with USG/KSU processes
- Inquisitive nature
- Computer and technology skills, including the ability to learn new programs quickly
- Desire to be part of the research administration team at KSU
- Experience with grant and contract policies of Federal, state, and private sponsors