Custodian F/T (one or more positions)
Irvine Valley College
Job Close Date: 09/25/2018
Monday-Friday; 4:30 pm - 1:00 am.
The District offers a comprehensive package of insurance benefits to eligible employees, which includes medical and dental insurance, a vision-care plan, life insurance and dependent life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage, and a long-term disability income-protection plan. All premiums are fully paid by the District. Mandatory retirement incentive is with California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under general supervision from higher level supervisory and/or management staff, performs a full range of custodial duties related to the care, maintenance, and cleaning of assigned buildings and facilities; sets up and removes tables, chairs and equipment for meetings; and performs a variety of general tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility. May receive functional supervision, technical training and work direction from a higher-level custodian.
This is the journey level class within the Custodian series. Employees within this class are distinguished from the Lead Custodian in that the latter position serves as a lead worker over lower level custodial staff. Employees at this level are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
• Methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work.
• Safe work practices.
• Methods and techniques of cleaning and preserving floors, furniture, walls and fixtures.
• Operational characteristics of cleaning equipment and materials.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
• Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
• Perform the full range of custodial tasks.
• Clean and care for assigned areas and equipment.
• Learn to use a variety of custodial equipment, supplies and materials.
• Operate and use a variety of custodial equipment, supplies and materials in a safe and effective manner.
• Perform minor maintenance repairs on assigned equipment.
• Use and monitor the need for a variety of custodial equipment and materials.
• Work independently in the absence of supervision.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Six months of custodial experience is desirable.
License or Certificate:
A valid California driver’s license and proof of insurability may be required for some positions.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER