Part-Time Tutor, Accounting-Title V Grant-Level I-NC/BS
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499
Tutors students who need learning assistance in various disciplines.
- Provides students with assistance in courses relevant to the tutor's knowledge in individual or small group settings, including in some cases, a programmatic documentation of student competency in particular course skills.
- Notes any student hardships or obstacles to academic success, and makes appropriate referrals to financial aid, counseling, advising, disability services, and other college support programs.
- Establishes and maintains a punctual work schedule with the approval of the program supervisor.
- Maintains student records of utilization to be communicated to the program manager, faculty, division dean, Early Intervention coordinator, and other program administrators as requested or specified.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with students, fellow tutors, faculty, and administrators.
- Promotes student use of the available free tutoring through class visitation and other means approved by the program manager.
- Attends tutor training sessions and follows the required guidelines for tutor certification specified by the Center for Reading and Learning Association to attain at least CRLA Level 1 at the end of the first year of employment.
- Maintains and updates student instructional files as needed and respects confidentiality of information.
- Assists with basic room functionality (reports outages, glitches, printer issues--including printer paper, toner, etc.).
- Carries out other reasonable, related duties as assigned
- Strong knowledge of tutoring content area.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to work independently with little direct or continuous supervision.
- Computer competence/literacy with hardware and with most common software (Word, Excel, specific instructional software for various courses).
- Minimal physical effort is required
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Schedule will vary from semester to semester
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- High School diploma for peer tutors (Must provide at least one Faculty recommendation)
- Associate's degree or higher for professional tutors
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Temporary
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 11, 2018, 11:52:19 PM