Research Support Specialist
Research Support Specialist-1801619
Required Qualifications: (As evidenced by an attached resume)
Bachelor’s Degree (equivalent) or higher in Biology or related field. Experience with handling and performing surgical procedures in small animals.
Experience with survival surgery and animal care. Experience with biochemical, histological and immunohistochemical techniques and behavioral testing of rodents. Experience with data management (Excel, SPSS, Minitab, SigmaPlot/Stat), electronics, and computers. Ability to demonstrate professional competence in research activities.
Brief Description of Duties:
Incumbent will be required to set-up and perform experiments related to the lab funding in central nervous system research.
- Perform survival surgeries and post-operative care on adult rats (e. g. laminectomy/spinal cord transection and contusion, craniotomy/intracerebral injection, etc)
- Set-up and assist with acute electrophysiological recording studies on adult rats
- Set-up and perform serial physiolological monitoring and interventions in adult rats (e.g., plethysmography chamber, diuresis chamber)
- Perform behavioral testing in adult rats (e.g.motor paradigms, spatial mazes)
- Perform tissue processing for histology/immunohistochemistry (e.g. fixation, sectioning, slide-mounting, staining, etc) and biochemical assays (eg Western blot, RT-PCR, etc)
- Maintain accurate laboratory records and compliance reports for lab personnel.
- Provide general laboratory support, including ordering supplies. Assist with training and supervision of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Other duties or projects as assigned.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook: Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the six Health Sciences schools — Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare — as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 180 pediatric specialists in 30 specialties, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region. Equal Opportunity Employer, females, minorities, disabled, veterans. If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Research Support Specialist
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Physiology and Biophysics-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift M-F 8:30 am - 5:00 pmPhysiology and Biophysics-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Posting Start Date: Jul 5, 2018
Posting End Date: Jul 19, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $34-41K Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: N11