Transition and Support Coordinator- Veteran and Military Student Services
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Veteran & Military Student Services
Transition and Support Coordinator
Position #709287 - Requisition 14677
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Office of Veteran & Military Student Services has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Transition and Support Coordinator position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
As Colorado's only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state's cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society's most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Transition and Support Coordinator will be a full time, Professional Exempt position serving both the CU Denver and CU Anschutz campuses. Under the supervision of the Director of the Office of Veteran & Military Student Services, this position will:
- Coordinate all program activities, events, and programs as it relates to transition and support of military-connected students
- Oversee the Transition and Support team staff, to include graduate assistants student employees, and grant-funded positions
- Serve as a resource for all military-connected students seeking education and career support and transition services
- Coordinate and lead military-connected student orientation
- Coordinate the mentorship aspect of the program, including, but not limited to matching new students with a peer mentor, maintaining the roster of students and professional mentors, matching them according to major (student) and career/field (mentor), and introducing/connecting the student and mentor
- Coordinate internship and career opportunities of the program with appropriate internal programs
- Serve as the community liaison to local businesses/corporations, veteran organizations, and community resources.
- Coordinate services with other university departments, specifically the CU Denver Experiential Learning and Career Center, and others as needed
- Monitor student program participants as they matriculate through programs
- Oversee the creation and continuation of all transition and support promotional materials, social media information and program website
- Develop and lead staff and faculty training programs
- Oversee tutoring resources and services
- Oversee the awarding of specific military-connected student scholarships
- Other duties or responsibilities regarding the program as needed
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $40,000 to $44,281 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- A bachelor's degree in education, communication, social science, business, public administration, business administration, higher education, counseling, liberal arts, finance, accounting, human services, student affairs, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- 1 year of professional level experience working with military-connected students.
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- A veteran of the United States Armed forces
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of the specific challenges facing military-connected students transitioning from the military or other institutions of higher education into a university.
- Knowledge of organizations devoted to military-connected issues including the federal government, the state government, at the local level and various associations.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by September 25, 2018. Those who do not apply by September 25, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications, 2. A current CV/resume, 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references). Questions should be directed to: Patrick Browne, Patrick.firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30208 - AVCASA-SS Veterans Student Ser
Posting Date: Sep 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Patrick Browne
Posting Contact Email: Patrick.Browne@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00709287