Human Resources Coordinator - Fine and Applied Arts Shared Services (101935)
College of Fine & Applied Arts Shared Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Temple Buell Hall (TBH) Business Service Center in the College of Fine and Applied Arts seeks applicants for the position of Human Resources Coordinator. This position will provide a variety of services and activities related to employment and hiring practices, appointments and visa processing, and other related human resources functions. This position will utilize professional judgment and discretion to serve as the primary HR point of contact for units served by the Temple Buell Hall Business Service Center under guidance from the Director of Business Services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the hiring activity for all academic positions, including but not limited to position development and approval, end-to-end search documentation and approvals, recruitment advertising, advising hiring managers and search committees about search processes, interview participation and coordination. This may include reference checking for some positions.
- Coordinate Civil Service hiring requests and procedures, working closely with Illinois Human Resources, including but not limited to position development and approval, employee requisitions, candidate interview and selection process, and reference checking.
- Work closely with the Office for Access and Equity with respect to search and hiring practices, affirmative action goals, and equal employment opportunity practices.
- Oversee the development and continual improvement of procedures and templates used in HR search processes and transaction processing to drive efficient operations within the TBH Business Service Center.
- Coordinate robust, employee-focused onboarding and exit strategies for units served by the TBH Business Service Center.
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures related to visa and green card processing; work closely with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, sponsoring faculty, and foreign nationals throughout the various processes; convey foreign national and visa processing policies and proper procedures to faculty and staff.
- Provide timely, efficient service for all academic and civil service appointments processing, including insight and recommendations on various appointment requests (often non-standard appointments), working closely with College and campus HR units and in accordance with University policy and procedures.
- Establish/develop strong working relationships with Department Heads, Directors, Faculty, and Staff of assigned units to successfully meet their HR needs.
- Track and monitor compliance for assigned units in areas such as performance reviews, semester appointment submission, mandatory ethics and other employee training, and academic leave reporting.
- Review and process HR transactions related to specific employee groups and departmental requests, in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Oversee the bi-weekly payroll process, communicate leave practices and policies, and ensure compliance throughout the units served by TBH Business Service Center.
- Interpret and implement policies and procedures related to the federal Family Medical Leave Act, as well as other laws/policies related to employee leaves such as the campus Shared Benefits, Disability Leave, the Americans with Disabilities Act, etc. Provide training to employees, and supervisors, regarding leave practices and policies, the performance management process, HR electronic systems, and other HR-related topics.
- Consult with supervisors and employees in regards to personnel issues, utilizing campus resources such as the campus HR office and Faculty Staff Assistance Program when necessary.
- Work closely with a variety of stakeholders and peers including College of Fine and Applied Arts HR staff and HR staff in other departments/schools in FAA
- Work closely with the Director to collaborate on complex employee relations situations using discretion and guidance from the Director to conduct research, interpret findings, and make recommendations for various HR-related situations, consulting with College and Illinois Human Resources as applicable.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three-four (3-4) years of progressive work experience with proven ability to research, interpret, and make recommendations based on HR policy.
- Proven track record of customer service.
- Results oriented with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and possess a strong commitment to the concept of shared services.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills, the ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents, and the ability to concurrently manage multiple complex tasks.
- Master's degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Higher Education Administration, or a related field.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or related certification.
- Public university experience providing human resources support and coordination.
- Experience in documentation, training, search and hire practices, visa processing, and/or appointments processing.
- Project management training and/or experience working on HR information systems projects.
- Working knowledge of University of Illinois business and human resources policies and procedures.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary and position level are commensurate with experience and qualifications. To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three professional references as a single pdf file by September 26, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed prior to then; however, no hiring decision will be made until after the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Melissa Madsen at [email protected] or 217-300-1136.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Fine and Applied Arts
Title: Human Resources Coordinator - Fine and Applied Arts Shared Services (101935)
Open Date: 09/11/2018
Organization Name: FAA Shared Services