Executive Assistant to the Dean and Communications Lead
Job ID: 24741
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: College of Education
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Exempt II
Salary Range:$4,693 - $8,242
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Dean of the Lurie College and receiving work lead direction from the Academic Resource Manager, the Executive Assistant to the Dean and Communications Lead enhances the dean's effectiveness by managing internal and external communications and representing the dean to a diverse community of stakeholders. The Executive Assistant performs duties independently to achieve specified outcomes. This position manages all communications to and from the dean's office and provides programmatic and administrative support for the dean, including support for the Council of Chairs, faculty recruitment, special programs with alumni, corporate and private donors, and various college promotional activities. The Executive Assistant and Communications Lead must work collaboratively and effectively to establish and maintain working relationships within a diverse environment and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide day-to-day administrative support for Dean & support for committees and task forces
chaired by the Dean.
- Manage, coordinate and support Council of Chairs meetings including minute taking, archiving
meeting documents, compiling meeting materials, preparing meeting, technology set-up and
communicating meeting schedule.
- Support the Dean in researching and analyzing institutional policies to ensure compliance with
CSU, SJSU, and college election policies.
- Work with LCOE departments and University Advancement to develop strong brand identity.
- Work with LCOE departments and University Advancement to strengthen social media
presence and visibility.
- Act as LCOE liaison with University Advancement on SJSU wide media and storytelling
- Work with University Advancement and Director of Development to support alumni
engagement initiatives and communications.
- Lead content development and coordination of LCOE website.
- Manage Dean's Office social media accounts (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Recommend, research, and prepare materials for presentations by the dean.
- Coordinate a weekly internal electronic newsletter for all faculty and staff.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training. Four years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Experience providing high level administrative support
- Excellent technical office skills; develop presentation materials, create and analyze
spreadsheets, merge data, and calendaring.
- Experience preparing written and electronic correspondence for media, newsletters, websites,
and social media.
- Project management skills - able to oversee complex projects and events.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to work with both internal and external
constituencies in preparing correspondence, emails, and presentations.
- Customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to work well and be responsive to a diverse range of stakeholders including students,
faculty, staff, community partners, alumni, and donors.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in
various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Knowledge of research, development and evaluation of policies and programs, including skill in
the collections, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make
- Ability to investigate and analyze problems with a broad administrative impact and implication.
- Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively.
- Strong technical skills and proficiency using technical office tools.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office suite software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint),
and Filemaker Pro.
- Ability to prioritize and balance a heavy work load with a high level of productivity, proficiency,
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with
employees and external agencies.
September 11, 2018
Application Screening begins 09/27/2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046