Visiting Comptroller & Director of Operations (IV)
Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
Location: Urbana and/or Chicago
Description: University of Illinois System
Visiting Comptroller and Director of Operations
Chicago or Urbana-Champaign Campus
The system office seeks a Visiting Comptroller and Director of Operations to, under the general direction of the CEO & Managing Director of IlllinoisVENTURES, LLC, manage the financial operations of the LLC and its affiliates, oversee all documents related to financial transactions and investments and manage the day-to-day operations of the organization. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Administer and monitor all IllinoisVENTURES, LLC and associated LLCs financial systems in order to ensure that all books and records are maintained in an accurate and timely manner including assisting with preparation of the budget, implementing financial policies and procedures, preparing and reconciling bank statements and processing invoices.
2. Oversee daily operations of the LLCs and provide support to the CEO and Managing Director on all operations related activities.
3. Prepare financial statements for the IllinoisVENTURES Board of Managers, including the annual budget with year to date spending projections, statements and projections for future revenue and expenditures.
4. Prepare quarterly reports for the Illinois Emerging Technology Funds and provide fund accounting for all private LP funds raised by IllinoisVENTURES.
5. In partnership with team members, maintain up-to-date waterfall calculations for all portfolio companies and provide a leadership role around portfolio company valuations.
6. Oversee and coordinate all financial and investment-related documents associated with all portfolio companies.
7. Maintain financial files and records for all IllinoisVENTURES entities and Illinois Emerging Technologies Funds (IETF) entities and for all related investments. Ensure IllinoisVENTURES, LLC and IETF I, II and III and all investment data is entered into appropriate systems, ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into the computerized accounting system, and report on variances for both all IllinoisVENTURES and IETF entities and where appropriate, for the investments within the portfolio.
8. Prepare monthly financial statements for IllinoisVENTURES including allocation of all expenditures by activity code and budget line item, and allocation of revenue sources in appropriate budget categories and transfer funds between accounts as needed.
9. Oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable systems in order to ensure complete and accurate records. Ensure information is entered into the financial system in an accurate and timely manner and oversee the reconciliation of accounts payable, accounts receivable and banking activity.
9. Provide accounting leadership and program management for all IllinoisVENTURES, LLC investment programs including the Chancellor's Innovation Fund as well as state and federal grants.
10. Responsible for all audits for IllinoisVENTURES and IETF. Including but not limited to leading the audit as well as coordinating and assisting with all audits including the preparation of schedules, worksheets and correspondence for all internal and external audits.
11. Oversee daily operations of the LLC and when needed, represent the CEO and Managing Director in operations related activities.
12. Oversight of the creation of policy and procedure manuals as needed and serve as the point of contact for administrative guidelines including procurement policy, ethics, conflict management, and other responsibilities for the unit.
13. Responsible for purchase implementation, establishes new contracts and vendors for IllinoisVENTURES and works with University procurement and other units regarding compliance.
14. Responsible for monthly and year-end reporting processes.
15. Responsible general administration and operations of IllinoisVENTURES.
16. Perform other duties as assigned by the CEO and Managing Director appropriate for a Visiting Director of Operations and Comptroller.
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or related appropriate field with a minimum of five years of relevant accounting or auditing experience. Other requirements include: experience with venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or investment management; experience in entrepreneurship in the technology sector, administration and policy development, compliance, and human resources; strong interpersonal skills that reflect courtesy, diplomacy, and a collaborative approach to develop and maintain effective work relationships. Must demonstrate the ability to interact productively and effectively with people within and outside of the University; advanced computer skills using Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as proficiency with an Internet browser (e.g. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or comparable browser). Proficiency with QuickBooks; excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively interact with University and departmental officials/staff and strong organizational development skills; strong organizational skills and attention to detail; excellent problem-solving skills to address difficult, complex issues; ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment and discretion in the performance of all work assignments; effectively manage multiple tasks within a complex organizational structure and have technical skills in accounting, financial and human resource management; demonstrated experience in use of computer aided systems with demonstrated skills in modeling, development, maintenance, reporting and projecting financial information ; and a self-managed professional who is a proven self-starter with demonstrated initiative is essential. A master's degree in related field and CPA designation preferred.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by May 30, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Offices conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The System Offices is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 05/30/2018