Senior Research Specialist I
Requisition # 2018-9279
Department Integrative Genomics
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Ayroles laboratory at the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics seeks applicants for a Senior Research Specialist position. The rank will be commensurate with experience. Our group takes a multi-disciplinary approach to investigate the genetic basis for variation in complex traits addressing broad questions in evolutionary and medical genetics. We work with various Drosophila species as well as humans.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to carry out large-scale genomics projects and to support various lab activities. In addition to research, this technician will also assist in training undergraduate students and will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the lab, including maintaining equipment and the inventory of laboratory materials and supplies. The research technician may be responsible for the development and execution of research projects.
The ideal candidate is one who seeks professional development as a scientist and is therefore interested in reading the current scientific literature and conducting an independent research project.
Specific duties include:
- Preparing sequencing libraries using molecular biology techniques.
- Developing new protocols to enable cutting edge applications of sequencing technology.
- Performing quality control of input samples and sequencing libraries.
- Training technicians, students, and postdocs on these methods and protocols.
- At least 10 years of experience in general modern molecular biology techniques.
- At least 5 years of experience with high-throughput sequencing, ideally with the Illumina platform.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in an environment with multiple demands and ongoing projects
- Ability to lead a project independently and trouble shoot as needed.
- A Master's degree or equivalent in biological sciences or related field.
- Experience with teaching or training others in a laboratory setting.
- Experience working in a technology core.
- Experience with liquid handling robot.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.