Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Network administrator’s role is to ensure the stable operation of the computer networks. This includes planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links. The person will also administer that university’s telecommunication system and provide user support for that system.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform network design and capacity planning
- Provide upper tier technical support to users concerning network operations
- Diagnoses problems with network equipment and perform repair or upgrades as needed
- Install, configure, and maintains network cabling and other networking equipment such as hubs, switches, and wireless infrastructure
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of network connected end-user hardware, software, and peripheral devices
- Work in close cooperation with other ITS personnel in order to assure the smooth and reliable functioning of all university information technology and telecommunication systems
- Monitor network infrastructure to ensure overall health of systems; provide status reports and take immediate corrective action when outages occur; serves as an on-call resource
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records
- Research and identify telecommunications systems to best serve the needs of the university at all locations
- Maintain and troubleshoot telecommunication system and assist telecommunication users as needed
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience required
- CCNA or CCNP preferred
- At least 3 years of full-time work experience in information technology and/or related functions with three years in network administration
- Two to three years of Cisco or HP switch management experience
- Experience supporting and deploying wireless networks
- Understanding VoIP administration
- Firewall administration experience preferred
- Knowledge of traditional PBX devices preferred
- Deep upstanding of the TCP/IP model
- Understanding protocols such as QoS, BGP, IPSEC, VPN
- Ability to accept divergent views while maintaining a constructive working relationship with other team members
- Knowledge of change management processes
- Sound judgment and prioritization skills
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to multitask several assignments or projects to successful resolution and or completion
- Ability to work independently and be dependable
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Absolute trustworthiness with high standards of personal integrity (demonstrated by an unblemished career history, complete lack of criminal convictions, etc.), and willingness to undergo vetting and/or personality assessments to verify this
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to transverse multi-leveled campus and travel to alternate sites as needs demand
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.