The Communications Specialist plans, develops and implements internal and external communication projects and initiatives on behalf of the assigned department. Creates and identifies opportunities to promote a favorable perception of the University to internal and external audiences. Acts as a liaison to departments within the University and/or external parties to provide communication support.
• Develops communication materials including web information, fact sheets, letters, emails and instant messaging for the purpose of communicating with target groups (students, donors, parents, etc...).
• Plans and implements targeted communication campaigns.
• Acts as the point of contact for project-related questions, and makes recommendations to solve problems and issues.
• Logs contact information and discussion topics for yield analysis.
• Maintains information databases and tracks, measures, evaluates and reports achievements of internal and external communication goals with a focus on recommending and incorporating improvements as appropriate.
• Develops and distributes reports to department leadership on a quarterly basis.
• Manages assigned department's communication budget.
Duties specific to MIA:
• Responsible for the development of marketing and promotional materials, both print and electronic.
• Manage MIA’s social media presence; create the layout and design of email/social media marketing campaigns.
• Develop and maintain website.
• Submit news-related announcements to university publications adhering to submission criteria and publication deadlines.
• Develop and manage events on and off campus, working in conjunction with Director and Senior Manager, Business Operations to identify and prioritize events.
• Work with collaborating organizations for development and co-hosting events.
• Work on multiple concurrent high-priority projects with strict deadlines.
• Responsible for drafting, editing and reviewing materials for use by senior leadership, such as speeches, video scripts and briefing presentations.
• Maintain the knowledge of University visual standards and guidelines, and ensure departmental compliance with each.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Candidates must have a marketing/communications and events background.
• Very strong communication skills- written and oral.
• Solid computer skills and extensive knowledge of web tools and software.
• Knowledge of MS suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative suite preferred (Photoshop, Illustrator, lnDesign, Flash).
• Knowledge of routine office practices and procedures.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate well with others.
• Ability to run multiple projects efficiently and simultaneously.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Bachelor degree in related field; Business Administration, Marketing or Communications preferred.
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Three (3) to Five (5) years of progressive related work in a communications role. Any appropriate combination of education, certifications and/or relevant work experience will be considered.
• Strong knowledge of web application (HTML, Photoshop, Illustrator, lnDesign, Flash).
• Flexible work schedule required, hours are subject to change due to operational needs.
Apply online at: www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100016014
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>