Help Desk Support Technician
Help Desk Support Technician - Information Technology Department
The Help Desk Support Technician is an entry-level position providing basic technical support to administration, faculty, staff (both on- and off-campus), students, and other constituents as needed. The incumbent must be able to exercise independent judgement and decision making to ensure resolution to problems and promote end-user satisfaction. This position reports to the Technical Help Desk Manager.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Student Computer Support
- Assist with student laptop program and imaging utilizing Windows System Center
- Manage inventory for student laptops
- Discuss technical problems with students, analyze and diagnose underlying problem and resolve. This may involve communication with outside vendors if warranty is involved.
- Student account assistance with Active Directory or Banner passwords
- Provide support for handheld devices such as cell phones, iPads and tablets.
Administration, Faculty and Staff Support
- Discuss, analyze, diagnose and resolve technology problems
- Account assistance with Active Directory and Banner passwords
- Insures proper encryption of devices/external drives using Microsoft Bitlocker Administration and File Vault
- Backup for Mobile device management including Apple DEP, Computrace and Airwatch for iPads, laptops, and Microsoft Surface Pro devices
- Backup for Surplus inventory asset management including proper procedures for device disposal or refurbishment
Other Help Desk Support Duties
- Utilize remote diagnostic tools and troubleshooting skills to resolve technical issues
- Extensive use of Information technology Department’s ticketing system for issue initiation, resolution and follow up.
- Knowledge and ability to troubleshoot basic network connections on computers and mobile devices.
- Provide support for Windows and Mac computers
- Assist with Virtual Desktop deployments
- Software installations
- Assist with file shares and student printing issues (paper supply, print cartridges, paper jams).
- Installation, maintenance, and training for various applications (spreadsheets, databases, word processing)
- Development and documentation of Help Desk Standard Operating Procedures
- Other related duties as assigned
A combination of recent and relevant education and experience may also be considered for this position.
- Extensive knowledge in problem solving; uses logic to identify alternatives to solve complex and integrated technical problems, anticipates problems and identifies and evaluates potential sources of information and generates alternative to solve problems where precedents do not exist.
- Ability to communicate with customers with diverse needs and a variety of end-user skill sets; provide technical or complex information about products and services; assess customer needs and identify products and/or services to meet their needs; resolves complex or non-routine problems and questions.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, mobile devices; different operating systems including Windows 10; wired and wireless networking; setting up profiles; setting up and using imaging for system restoration; establishing network shares for file sharing and printing; remote diagnostic tools; knowledge of data communication protocols, web browsers and internet services; knowledge of various software products (MS Office Suite).
- Must be able to develop training materials, knowledge base information, and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; phone etiquette; people and customer service oriented skills.
- A+, Network+, CCNA, Security+, MCSE, or VCP highly sought
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
Education: Prefer BS degree in Computer Science or Information Technology, though experience would be considered in lieu of education
Required Experience: Technical Help Desk Support Experience; 2 years or equivalent combination of education and experience
Compensation: This is a full-time, non-classified position; it is exempt from FLSA regulations concerning overtime; base salary is $34,000 though commensurate with education and experience, plus a full state benefits package.
Not all activities of this position occur within the confines of an 8:00-4:30 schedule and may require evening and weekend scheduling as needed. The weekly schedule for this position will be established between the supervisor and the employee and approved given the needs of the department and the institution.
This position has been designated as Essential. This means that when WVSOM is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover and continue operations at WVSOM.
Application: Candidates should apply for this position online at http://www.wvsom.edu/employment
Applications will accepted until the position has been filled. Final candidates are subject to employment and credential verification, reference and background checks. All applications are confidential.
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing diversity among its faculty and staff.