Staff Bus Driver
Areas of Intereset: Driving/Transportation
Functional Areas: Finance & Business Strategy
Department: Transportation Services
Requisition Number: 13054
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 17-Sep-2018
Transportation Operations at CU Boulder is looking for a Staff Bus Driver to join their team. The Staff Bus Driver fulfills the transit services for campus either through completing routine routes or contracts for special transportation needs. Bus drivers shall ensure prompt transit for campus affiliates and guests in consideration of their needs, vehicle operational capacity and road conditions. A commercial driver’s license, class A or B, is required as well as experience driving buses or like-sized vehicles.
As a Bus Driver at CU Boulder, you will receive excellent benefits including:
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 10 paid holidays.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- Life insurance.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- EcoPass for free RTD rides.
- An unparalleled retirement plan with an employer contribution at 10% of your salary.
- Quarterly incentive for safe driving.
Who We Are
Transportation Services provides comprehensive transit, fleet management, and maintenance to serve the faculty, staff, students and visitors at the University of Colorado Boulder. The University of Colorado vehicle fleet numbers over 600; a robust transit system moving 1.4 million riders per year at the University of Colorado-Boulder campus; and guidance for driver operations for campuses located in Aurora, Boulder, and Denver.
As such, we have the unique opportunity to influence the impressions every member of our university community and our visitors. We are team-oriented professionals, dedicated to meeting the needs of our community and providing the highest possible customer service. Experience dynamic growth, self-directed efforts and a challenging but rewarding industry.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The responsibilities of the Staff Bus Driver include:
- Safely transports people using university vehicles that the driver meets certification to operate. Navigates a variety of routine and contracted routes on a time schedule with passenger safety, road and traffic conditions, as well as vehicle operational capacity, under consideration.
- Completes pre and post trip inspections results on the appropriate forms, ensuring all forms are filled out properly for CDL paperwork. This includes but is not limited to recording passenger count, mileage, fuel, and other fluid usages and completes statistical summary by route.
- Conducts pre and post trip safety inspections to confirm vehicles suitability for route completion. Incumbent may add fluids, and perform other maintenance tasks if needed. However, should a vehicle fail during a pre-trip inspection or during a route, the driver will evaluate or operate a suitable alternative as well as notify dispatch and appropriate management.
- Complete continuing education to establish or maintain proficiency in vehicle operation capacities.
What You Should Know
Work hours are flexible and varied during the summer months.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting rate is $18.11 an hour.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Supported. Be Professional. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), class A or class B.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Two years of verifiable experience operating buses or like-size vehicles OR six months experience operating a public transit bus with a Class B P2 endorsement, for RTD or their sub-contractors may substitute for the two years of experience.
What You Will Need
- Attention to detail.
- Able to navigate a variety of routine and contracted routes on a time schedule with passenger safety, road and traffic conditions, as well as vehicle operational capacity, under consideration.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a passenger endorsement.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
This position is designated "essential services." The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer