Plumber (Pipe/Mechanical Trades II)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Plumber (Pipe/Mechanical Trades II)
Position #218446 - Posting #14571
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The responsibilities of this full-time, state classified position include design and installation of various plumbing and mechanical systems, performing preventative and corrective maintenance on plumbing, mechanical, fire protection, infrastructure, HVAC systems as well as pump repairs, water treatment for closed loops, utility locates and back flow prevention. Collaborates with clients, project managers, contractors and other trades to ensure proper installation and operation of facility systems.
Examples of Work Performed:
Installation & Maintenance (25%)
Install plumbing and mechanical systems in accordance with building codes, job specifications and University of Colorado building standards.
Fire Protection (15%)
Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on fire protection systems in accordance with NFPA 99
Infrastructure/Utility Locate Services (15%)
Perform preventative maintenance corrective maintenance on campus infrastructure, to include high pressure steam, condensate, chillwater, sanity storm and domestic water systems.
Identify the type and location of underground utilities and be able to direct locate contractors on issues regarding utility locate requests.
Assistance with Water Treatment (5%)
Assist with water treatment duties associated with maintaining closed loop systems, revers osmosis, deionized water, soft water, condenser and steam boiler make up water.
Assistance with Pump Program (10%)
Provide assistance with the pump program, to include preventative maintenance and corrective maintenance.
Lab Systems (15%)
Must be familiar with specific systems that are used throughout campus research facilities and patient care.
The individual in this position, if not already certified, will receive training and in certain circumstances certification in the proper methods used to join and maintain DI/RO water, lab waste and vent, lab vacuum, carbon dioxide, natural gas, and other systems specific to a research and patient care facility.
Back Flow Prevention (15%)
Responsible for installing, repairing and testing all types of back flow preventers and completing required paper work according to CDPHE and local municipalities requirements.
The individual in this position, if not already certified, will train and obtain certification within one year from date of hire.
NOTE: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shifts during emergency campus closures.
Salary and Benefits:
- Hiring Salary Range: $4193 / month *
- *The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
- This position is also eligible for additional critical skills pay, up to 15% per month based on experience and qualifications
- Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
- Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
- Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
- Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
- Three years of progressively responsible plumbing experience in a construction or combination construction and maintenance environment
- Necessary Special Qualification: Must possess and maintain a current State of Colorado journey-level plumber's license
- Substitution: Successful completion of a formalized plumbing apprenticeship program, or higher level, non-correspondence course work in the same fields from an accredited vocational school or university may substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of hire
- ASSE Back flow tester certified at the time of hire or must be willing and able to obtain certification within one year from date of hire
- Must be willing and able to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle check and drug test
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident, incident, or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Facilities Operations Department Policies
- Must be willing and able to stand and walk on a constant basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to climb, crawl, kneel, bend and reach above shoulders on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds on a constant basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to push and pull on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to use manual dexterity, eye/hand coordination and near vision on a constant basis
- Must be willing and able to use far vision on a frequent basis
- Must be willing and able to use hearing and verbal communication on a constant basis
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions including snow, rain, heat, and cold
- Must be willing and able to work with chemicals/solvents
- Must be willing and able to work in areas where you may be exposed to hazardous chemicals or infectious materials
- Must be willing and able to operate moving equipment and work around machinery or moving equipment
- Must be willing and able to work around noise/vibrations
- Must be willing and able to work alone, above ground and in small confined spaces
- Must be willing and able to walk on uneven surfaces and climb on scaffolds/ladders
- Must be willing and able to work straight or rotating shifts, weekends and holidays
- NOTE: This position has been designated as essential personnel, "Subject to call 24 hours per day, seven days per week" and may be required to carry a pager. Position may also be required to "Stay over late" or "Come in early" to "Cover" shifts, as needed and may be required to respond to any emergencies as needed. If hired, you will be required to provide effective off-hours phone contact info for emergency call-in purposes.
- State of Colorado Backflow Certification
- Experience in pipe welding
- Experience fixing and maintaining equipment and machinery
- Experience planning and laying out complete project designs
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors
- Mechanical Ability
- Physical Ability
- Planning and organization skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement has been extended until October 8, 2018.. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 60106 - ADM AVCFO Building Mntc Oprns
Posting Date: Sep 24, 2018
Closing Date: Oct 8, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Sean McBride
Posting Contact Email: Sean.M.McBride@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00218446