OIT Service Desk Program Manager
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Information Technology | Technology Support Services Division
OIT Service Desk Program Manager
Position #749787 - Requisition 14155
The Office of Information Technology works to advance the University mission by providing innovative technology solutions and services to the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campuses, their constituents and partners.
Through our six core values, Service, Professionalism, Leadership, Innovation, Community, and Excellence (SPLICE), we make a difference.
Click here to find out more about the Office of Information Technology
The OIT Service Desk Program Manager a full-time University Staff (non-classified) is a member of the Technology Support Services Division within the Office of Information Technology (OIT) for CU Denver and the University of Colorado Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses. The Program Manager's responsibilities include responding to Tier 1 incidents and tickets received via the OIT Service (Helpdesk and Desktop Support) Desk, working with the university's monitoring and alerting systems, and communications teams. Other responsibilities include supervision of the Service Desk Staff, oversight of daily operations to provide access to all OIT services to our campus constituents, resolution of technical issues that require escalated support for customers, being a point of contact after-hours in support of the Service Desk Manager, completion of performance plans and evaluations about half of the Service Desk, coordination and facilitation of training opportunities, development and documentation of processes for service request fulfilment; and assistance with OIT long term projects and initiatives.
This position requires some occasional weekend and evening assignments as well as availability during off-hours for participation in both scheduled and unscheduled activities.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assists to ensure customer service is timely and effective on a daily basis. Oversees the management and fulfilment of the requests, incidents and problems. Manages and coordinates urgent and complicated support issues. Acts as escalation point for all requests and incidents. Develops support using a phone/ticket system (Cherwell, Prime Source) escalation processes to ensure free flowing escalation and information within the organization. In the absence of the Service Desk Manager, determines the root cause of issues and communicates appropriately to internal and external customers. Works to ensure ITSM (IT Service Management) processes are followed.
- Assists with training and support of service desk representatives and technicians. Acts as a mentor for Service Desk Specialists (including career development). Oversee staff activities. As needed, schedules employees work times and provides backup support. Interacts with internal and external customers. Assist with the management of the help desk team, prepares performance plans, and completes annual performance evaluations of the service desk team assigned to them. Service Desk Program Managers must be able to delegate tasks to their technicians and motivate them to complete said tasks.
- Assists the Service Desk Manager to identify specific customer service standards for the service desk team. Contributes to improving customer support by actively responding to queries and handling complaints. Assists the establishment of best practices through the entire technical support process. Provides data and reporting of key performance indicators and trends to IT department and others in ad-hoc, weekly, monthly and as needed. Helps to drive Ticket Deep Dives and develop strategies for improvement. Works to make the Service Desk the single source of truth and service delivery channel for IT. Monitors and manages phone queue (participating in escalated calls as needed) for purposes of training and support mitigation.
- Follows up with customers to identify areas of improvement. Oversees solutions repository and ensures top quality solutions are available to the staff through knowledge database. Assists with the development of an effective and workable framework for managing and improving customer IT support in the organization. Advises management on situations that may require additional client support or escalation.
- Assists with managing the process for communicating outage/emergency activities to the organization. Initiates notices of outages as dictated by the Incident Management Communications process. Reviews survey feedback to improve services, tools and support experience. Keeps confidential all applicant, client, and verification and company proprietary information.
- Participates in OIT department-wide projects (planning, implementation, support) such as IT Service Management, Authentication (VPN/VDI/Microsoft), implementation of Slate, and Enterprise Collaboration tools.
- This is working manager position that may require that this individual provide Service Desk or Desktop Support services directly in times of high volume or limited staff. This requires a complete working knowledge of the OIT Service processes and technical expertise to respond to constituents (faculty, staff and students) in a timely and accurate manner.
Salary and Benefits:
The starting salary for this position has been established at $70,363 and is non-negotiable. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or relevant field.
- Two or more years of progressive experience in information technology
- Substitution - Work experience in the Information Technology field may be substituted for the educational experience on a year-for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to travel between campuses (Denver Campus and Anschutz Medical Campus)
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- A minimum of two years' experience working in Higher Education Call Center or Helpdesk lead worker experience
- Security+ Certification from CompTIA.
- Microsoft Certifications
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Must be self-motivated, self- managed, and able to adjust priorities while maintaining productivity
- Proven work experience as a Help Desk and Desktop support staff
- Hands on experience with help desk and remote control software, ability to analyze the problem in a natural progression
- Solid technical background with an ability to give instructions to a non-technical audience
- Customer-service oriented with a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Team management skills
- Conflict management experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to UCD-OIT.HumanResources@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by July 20, 2018. Those who do not apply by July 20, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60131 - ADM-AVCOIT Administration
Posting Date: Jul 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Marci Grant
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00749787