Veterinary Technician II (AFSCME 698 Bi-Annual Promotional Testing) (102577)
Veterinary Technician II
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Veterinary Technician II employees provide support and nursing care for animals undergoing surgery or treatment in an animal hospital/clinic or research laboratory. They apply or supervise nursing care of animals in the hospital/laboratory as directed by the veterinary technicians or clinicians in charge of the case. The Veterinary Technician II has developed the skill and expertise to perform the responsibilities requisite within the specialty to which the CVT is assigned. They may function as the lead technician and assist with coordinating activities within the section/service area or specialty. They also oversee the work of other veterinary technicians, veterinary students, graduate students/interns/residents, or other staff.
The Veterinary Technician II has clinical expertise in
• an AVMA recognized specialty or subspecialty such as: anesthesiology, animal behavior, cardiology, dental, dermatology, emergency and critical care, imaging, internal medicine, lab animal medicine, microbiology, nutrition, ophthalmology, oncology, pathology or surgery.
• a species-specific specialty area such as equine surgery, equine internal medicine, food animal surgery or food animal internal medicine.
• a specialized area of the hospital with a subspecialty-equivalent such as physical rehabilitation within the surgery section or radiation therapy within the imaging section or any other specialty as recognized by the department.
A Veterinary Technician II typically-
1. performs specialized, complicated procedures such as auriculopalpebral nerve blocks, organizing blood donor screening program, care of ventilator patients, service specific scheduling of students, etc. and tasks with minimal direction or supervision.
2. anticipates and provides specialized paramedical support and nursing care for animals in a hospital/clinic setting and/or research and/or teaching laboratory.
3. may supervise staff including those within the specialty section/service area which may include: assisting with hiring, training, corrective action, professional development, evaluating performance, approving time sheets, granting days off, overseeing section/service area employment needs and ensuring the orderly flow of the section/service area.
4. recognizes abnormalities in vital parameters, assesses the significance of changes observed, and takes necessary and appropriate action as indicated.
5. provides client and/or investigator/referring veterinarians with specialized information about section/service area procedures and cost of services.
6. may assist the section/service head in developing standard operating procedures within the specialty section/service area.
7. verifies condition of treatment areas and patient cages/stalls. Provides patient care and feeding in accordance with verbal or written instructions, monitors patient condition and effectiveness of medications.
8. draws blood, prepares for and assists with diagnostic procedures, provides medical care for hospitalized patients, including checking vital signs, cleaning wounds, changing bandages, monitoring incisions, placing catheters, administering medications and treatments as directed, monitoring intake and output levels, and exercising patients.
9. provides assistance with and instruction of veterinary students, including assistance with student labs. Assists and demonstrates proper animal restraint and handling. Performs student orientations and provides input on student evaluation and grading.
10. performs duties listed in lower level of this classification series.
11. performs other duties as assigned.
This posting is for current permanent University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign employees who are working within the Veterinary Technician promotional line.
1. Successful completion of a veterinary technology program accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
2. Current certification as a Veterinary Technician by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR).
3. A. Three (3) years (36 months) of progressively more responsible paramedical experience gained as a Veterinary Technician (GENERAL) or in other positions of comparable responsibility.
B. Two (2) years (24 months) of progressively more responsible experience gained as a Veterinary Technician I.
C. Three (3) years (36 months) of progressively more responsible experience in an AVMA recognized specialty or subspecialty, a species-specific specialty area, or a specialized area of the hospital with a subspecialty equivalent.
For more information about this classification:
Veterinary Technician II positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $19.74 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Veterinary Technician II. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Exam scores for this credential assessment will be based on materials submitted, rather than a written exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Title: Veterinary Technician II (AFSCME 698 Bi-Annual Promotional Testing) (102577)
Open Date: 09/10/2018
Close Date: 09/13/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations