Veterinary Technician I (AFSCME 698 Bi-Annual Promotional Testing) (102576)
Veterinary Technician I
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Veterinary Technician I employees provide skilled assistance to veterinary clinicians in the administration of veterinary medical care and student teaching. They work under direction from the clinician assigned to a case, following both written and oral instructions. They may also train and supervise/oversee lower level staff.
A Veterinary Technician I typically -
1. uses the basic knowledge and skills necessary to perform routine procedures and tasks with minimal direction or supervision.
2. coordinates schedule, receives and discharges patients, records patient information, provides patient care in accordance with instructions, and monitors patient condition and effectiveness of medications.
3. induces, intubates, and monitors patient during procedure and during patient recovery for vital signs; maintains anesthetic equipment.
4. demonstrates and assists in instructing students in the proper use of equipment and supplies.
5. evaluates condition of medical equipment and ensures that all areas of the hospital/laboratory are stocked with proper supplies and equipment. Assists with the oversight of lower level veterinary technicians and/or staff which may include training and professional development.
6. assists with developing and conducting student/staff orientation.
7. assists faculty, staff and students in all aspects of paramedical support.
8. operates and maintains equipment and machinery relevant to the section/service area.
9. collects, stores and submits diagnostic samples.
10. may supervise staff including those within the specialty section/service area, which may include overseeing section/service area's needs and ensuring the orderly flow of the section/service area.
11. performs duties listed in lower level of this classification series.
12. performs other duties as assigned.
This posting is for current permanent University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign employees who are working within the Veterinary Technician promotional line.
1. Successful completion of a veterinary technology program accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
2. Current certification as a Veterinary Technician by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR).
3. One (1) year (12 months) of paramedical veterinary experience comparable to that performed at the Veterinary Technician (General) level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility.
For more information about this classification:
Veterinary Technician I positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $17.92 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Veterinary Technician I. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Exam scores for this credential assessment will be based on materials submitted, rather than a written exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Title: Veterinary Technician I (AFSCME 698 Bi-Annual Promotional Testing) (102576)
Open Date: 09/10/2018
Close Date: 09/13/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations