Director of Insights & Strategy - Gies College of Business, Marketing & Communications (102333)
DIRECTOR of INSIGHTS & STRATEGY
Gies College of Business - Marketing & Communications
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Office of Marketing & Communications in Gies College of Business seeks a director of insights and strategy to join our team in support of the Gies brand. This position is charged with managing the strategy, process and analysis of rankings in which the College participates. In addition, the candidate would be charged with managing market research, brand tracking, and other research required to provide insights to leadership for strategic decision making and market positioning. S/he will develop and implement strategies for improving the College's reputation for excellence, as well as develop plans for communicating organizational success to our stakeholders. This position reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and will be part of a strong team responsible for stewarding the Gies Business brand.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the CMO and leadership to determine participation in the right set of rankings outlets:
- Work with internal stakeholders, especially the Data and Systems Analyst, to determine best practice process for managing, verifying, submitting and analyzing data for rankings in which the College participates;
- Manage the process adopted for administration of rankings submissions;
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data from various internal and external research sources such as rankings, competitive sets, enrollment trends, etc.
- Responsible for comprehensive and ethical leadership in all dealings with stakeholders, including ranking agencies, media, alumni, and internal College and University units;
- Develop methods and processes for gathering and optimizing data collection and analysis for internal use such as student satisfaction surveys, focus groups, perception mapping, etc.;
- Manage collection of qualitative data and other College information for publication purposes (e.g., facts about curriculum, projects, new initiatives)
- Work cross-functionally to gather data and develop internal relationships accordingly;
- Identify key drivers and provide recommendations for improving or enhancing College rankings ;
- Serve as the relationship manager with rankings agencies, proactively establishing connections for use for clarification of participation requirements, methodologies, timing, etc.;
- Establish strategies and communications tactics to gather information that would enhance rankings data;
- Work closely with Marketing & Communications team to identify and develop communications using research data that promotes and fosters the Gies brand and vision;
- Collaborate with the College's Data and Systems Analyst to understand the data, how it is collected, managed, analyzed, and verified;
- Develop and manage calendar for rankings survey completions, submissions, and results;
- Develop and manage marketing research for new programs; concept testing to target audiences; audit certain processes to ensure delivery of quality responsiveness and customer service;
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data from primary marketing research that is undertaken to measure perceptions, awareness, share of voice, competitive positioning, etc.;
- Perform qualitative analysis and/or quantitative analyses of data, using computer software (SPSS or Excel) as applicable;
- Identify and monitor metrics that drive brand awareness in the marketplace, via social media, web analytics, competitive media spend, etc.;
- Collaborate with internal units such as talent management, career services, undergraduate programs, and graduate programs to develop and field student and alumni satisfaction surveys;
- Prepare tables, graphs, fact sheets, written reports, and presentations, summarizing research results;
- Conduct secondary research as needed, including business trends, competitive analysis, internal data sets, etc.;
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director of Communications to maintain public-facing data and to use same data to tell impactful stories about the College;
- Develop and obtain any necessary informed consent of research subjects.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Required: BA/BS degree in business, statistics, math, data analytics or related field.
Preferred: MA/MS degree in business and/or data analytics.
Required: Minimum of 5 years of experience in collecting, analyzing, and providing insights from business school rankings as well as primary and secondary resources. Experience in various research methodologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data collection and analysis techniques, including statistics or social science research techniques
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize existing and new data into actionable findings and recommendations
- Proficiency in telling a compelling story from data
- Experience working with and creating databases and dashboards using relevant data
- Demonstrated ability to develop research in the areas of brand tracking, awareness studies, perceptual mapping, or other techniques
- Demonstrated computer skills that include knowledge of relational databases and statistical software packages (e.g., Excel, SPSS, Tableau, Salesforce)
- Ability to produce reports in a variety of formats for easy interpretation and use, and to design and prepare graphs, tables, and other visuals
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills necessary to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and external vendors
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of a team
- Organizational skills to plan and prioritize work efficiently and productively to meet competing deadlines; motivated to initiate, budget, and drive projects
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume, examples of data collection and presentation, and contact information for three professional references by September 30, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email [email protected].
The University of Illinois Gies College of Business conducts criminal background checks and will request academic transcripts from all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Business
Title: Director of Insights & Strategy - Gies College of Business, Marketing & Communications (102333)
Open Date: 09/10/2018
Close Date: 09/30/2018
Organization Name: Gies Mktg and Communications