Building Equipment Mechanic (S03145)
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Building Equipment Mechanic (S03145)
Job Description Summary
Job Title: Building Equipment Mechanic
Position #: S03145
Location: Silver Spring/Takoma Park
Montgomery College, Silver Spring/Takoma Park campus, has an immediate need for a full-time Building Equipment Mechanic. The work schedule is Tuesday-Saturday 2:30 PM to 11 PM. This position is non-exempt and bargaining.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform periodic inspections throughout the day to ensure all heating, plumbing and electrical systems are operating properly.
- Perform daily routine and emergency work order requests as assigned. These work orders can include checking/calibrating thermostats, ensuring proper operation of VAV boxes, pumps, and troubleshooting HVAC challenges including plumbing repairs as necessary.
- Perform preventive maintenance as assigned.
- Fill out work orders for closing as soon as the work is assigned and completed. Completed work orders shall be returned to the Maintenance coordinator/help desk for closing.
- Restore, replace, or install new equipment as needed.
- Using the database software, track all assigned work orders and keep them updated as the work progresses. Assure that all task performed are documented by requesting or creating work orders daily.
- Replace ceiling tiles, help with snow removal, perform temporary roofs repairs, fabricate motor mounts for HVAC units (welding/braising); repair water pumps as needed. Attend all suggested seminars. Fill out equipment reports as requested. Assist in servicing non assigned building equipment.
- High school diploma or GED, and completion of a vocational or apprentice-level training program in operating building heating and cooling equipment, Stationary Engineer or HVAC, and/or any combination of education, training, and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience working with commercial heating ventilation and air conditioning systems, air handling units and VAV boxes, rooftop packaged unit.
- Universal CFC License; 2nd Grade Stationary Engineers License or Journeyman HVAC license.
- Knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools, and materials common to HVAC repair, maintenance.
- Knowledge of building and fire codes, and occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade
- Knowledge of Pneumatic line, low voltage and direct digital controls. Working knowledge of boiler and hydronic distribution systems
- Working knowledge of air distribution systems, and familiarity with in the operation, troubleshooting, repairs and preventive maintenance of HVAC equipment (systems), including # 2 fuel fired boilers and related components. Working knowledge of the procedure for conducting failure analysis.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet and Windows-based applications
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship
- Journeyman HVAC license
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by October 1, 2018
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Monday, October 1, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: [email protected]
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
About UsI am proud of the work of Montgomery College. It is a remarkable organization, focused on student excellence, equity, and inclusion. We are intentionally building a college that takes responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all of our students.
I am committed to hiring faculty, staff, and employees who embrace this vision-and who reflect the diversity of our college community. Our students come to us from more than 160 countries, joining a student body that reflects a changing America, rich in cultural and geographic difference. We are proud of our diversity and our excellence in academic affairs, student affairs, operations, and community advancement.
I am looking for bold, innovative, and courageous faculty and staff to join the outstanding employees of Montgomery College. Are you uncompromising in your focus on student success? Are you rigorous in your attention to equitable outcomes for all students? Do you embrace data, technology, and innovation? Can you stretch to meet the needs of today's and tomorrow's students?
We are truly a unique college. For 70 years, Montgomery College has been on the leading edge, and we intend to stay there. We believe deeply in the mission of community colleges, and we are committed to empowering our students to change their lives and to enrich the life of the community. We hold ourselves accountable for the results.
If any of this resonates with you, I welcome your consideration of the employment announcement below. Make your move-and I look forward to working with you at Montgomery College.
DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D.
President, Montgomery College
MD - Montgomery County